LXer Weekly Roundup for 03-May-2009

Posted by Scott_Ruecker on May 4, 2009 11:29 PM EDT
LXer Linux News; By Scott Ruecker (Phoenix, U.S.)
Mail this story
Print this story

LXer Feature: 04-May-2009

The Linux and Unix Menagerie has a hilarious look back at what we thought was cool, Mike Weber has a cool tutorial on how to compile a Kernel in Ubuntu 9.04, HP unveiled a ProBook laptop line that you can get Linux Pre-installed on, and can XP save Windows 7? Something tells me the answer is no..

The Linux and Unix Menagerie has a hilarious look back at what we thought was cool, Mike Weber has a cool tutorial on how to compile a Kernel in Ubuntu 9.04, HP unveiled a ProBook laptop line that you can get Linux Preinstalled on, and can XP save Windows 7? Something tells me the answer is no..

Continuing with the MS theme, Windows 7's virtual 'XP mode' could mean support nightmares for and it may not work on many, if any of the PC's it gets installed on which begs the question Are Alarm Bells Ringing in Redmond?. Minix, which has gone from inspiring Linus Torvalds, into obscurity, now as Minix 3, is focusing on a minimalistic (sorry, had too) and stable install has received 2.5 million euros of funding from the the European Research Council. I remember installing Minix on a test system back when I was first trying anything I could burn to a CD. If they can really create a system that can repair itself, actually repair itself, not just update, according to a preset configuration..maybe I am naive but I would have to see that with my own eyes.

Phoronix gives us a preview of Fedora 11, Solveig Haugland writes a compelling open letter to Larry Ellison about OpenOffice.org, anyone who has $100 and extra PCI slot can convert an old PC into a Linux thin client. Glyn Moody asks "Whatever Happened to OOXML?", Carla Schroder tells us not to cry for disappearing newspapers and a reader responds one of her statements in the LXer forums entitled "Terminating a Bad Assumption" and last but not least, is it FUD, or is it just bad? You decide.

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Editorial, LXer Features, Roundups; Groups: Fedora, HP, Kernel, Linux, LXer, Microsoft, OpenOffice.org, PHP, Ubuntu

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
where is the other photo? tuxchick 6 2,077 May 5, 2009 6:58 PM

You cannot post until you login.