I just discovered something

Posted by tracyanne on Dec 14, 2009 5:31 PM EDT
LXer Linux News; By tracyanne
Mail this story
Print this story

LXer Feature: 14-Dec-2009

The rest of you may already be aware of this, but I just discovered something about Ubuntu I was not aware of.

I discovered this while reading through a copy of Full Circle Magazine (issue 24 actually), I have in my ebook reader.

In response to Question #2: A separate /home partition has not been necessary in a while. Ubuntu's installers do not remove directories named "home" when installing.

Mounting a separate home partition is not necessary, because Ubuntu doesn't remove any directory named /home when you install Ubuntu, and that is why the default ubuntu install doesn't create a seperate partition for the home directory, and why it has been unnecessary for me to go to all the trouble of manually creating a /home partition.

Even more anoying is that when I was corresponding with Canonical about how to custom build the installer to create a /home partition, instead of telling me it was unnecessary, they kept offering to sign me up for unnecessary paid support services.

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: LXer Features; Groups: Linux, Ubuntu

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
separate /home can be convenient gus3 25 2,954 Dec 16, 2009 5:10 AM
"separate /home partition has not been necessary in a while" Steven_Rosenber 4 2,882 Dec 15, 2009 4:01 PM

You cannot post until you login.