A Considered Future For OpenSolaris

Posted by Penguin on Jul 16, 2010 9:28 PM EDT
Computerworld UK; By Simon Phipps
Mail this story
Print this story

Left with few options, the OpenSolaris Governing Board sends a final message to Oracle. You may have seen some of the news reporting of the OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) meeting that was held last Monday (I am an elected member of the Board). At a meeting with an unusually large number of community observers, we discussed how to respond to the 100% radio silence the OGB has experienced from the new owners of the OpenSolaris copyright and infrastructure. I believe we reached a balanced and well-considered conclusion and remain hopeful of a good outcome.

You may have seen some of the news reporting of the OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) meeting that was held last Monday (I am an elected member of the Board). At a meeting with an unusually large number of community observers, we discussed how to respond to the 100% radio silence the OGB has experienced from the new owners of the OpenSolaris copyright and infrastructure. I believe we reached a balanced and well-considered conclusion and remain hopeful of a good outcome.

Given our mandate to facilitate the OpenSolaris community, a key requirement - called out explicitly in the governance documents for OpenSolaris - is to have a liaison provided by Oracle to help the OGB understand the direction they have chosen for both their infrastructure provision and their dominant coding activity. Without a liaison, it's impossible to discuss and escalate infrastructure issues (such as the fact that the membership management facilities on OpenSolaris.org do not match the new Constitution voted in by the membership this spring, or the fact that the main kernel for OpenSolaris is not available for commits on the public internet) as well as to understand the strategy around the code (such as the apparent de-emphasis of the OpenSolaris distribution, telegraphed by engineering changes and the lack of an on-time release).

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Announcements, Editorial; Groups: Oracle, Sun

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Goodbye OpenSolaris chalbersma 2 1,148 Jul 19, 2010 1:48 AM

You cannot post until you login.