The Linux Printer Driver Online Petition

Posted by devnet on May 2, 2005 2:34 PM EDT
http://linuxblog.sytes.net; By devnet
Mail this story
Print this story

I've had it! I've been locked in for the last time. No longer will I sit idle and allow choices to be made FOR me. I make the choices around here. When I'm in the market for a printer, I don't want to have to think about which one to get. I want to be able to just go out, browse, pick one, and bring it home. Everything should just work right out of the box right? Wrong! You have to check the Linuxprinting.org Printer Database just to list out printers that you're allowed to buy...that is, if you want them to work with Linux. I say this is a crock. I say it is a sham. There are more than one operating system on the market, and it is high time that companies...large companies...start to understand this.

You've heard it all before I'm sure. My thoughts on this are no where near unique. However, I've been thinking quite a bit about this. Having been involved with a couple of new user friendly distros of Linux lately, I can assure you that printing is one of the main disqualifiers of Linux converts. It is VERY frustrating for a new user to not get that $200 CANON computer they just bought up and running with Linux when there is no driver for it.

How can we remedy this? Perhaps we're barking up the wrong tree writing emails and letters to the companies. Most of the letters I've written fall on deaf ears. The thing that these companies forget is that WE are the consumers...therefore, WE dictate the rise and fall of the market. WE push a product or pull it. Sure, they advertise like hell and try to sway us this way or that...but the ultimate choice lies with US...you and I. The ball is in our court.

Therefore, instead of just writing these emails and letters, perhaps a different type of action can be taken. An online petition.

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: ; Groups: Community

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Untitled hkwint 1 2,135 May 3, 2005 3:03 PM
Not only cannot I not sign, I disagree with both your ... TxtEdMacs 1 2,358 May 3, 2005 1:14 PM
odd...this article isn't showing devnet 2 1,721 May 2, 2005 2:59 PM

You cannot post until you login.