mv elitism /dev/null

Posted by devnet on May 31, 2005 1:55 PM EDT
Yet Another Linux Blog; By Devnet
Mail this story
Print this story

In the beginning of things, open source was about open everything. I remember joining an irc channel # on efnet back in 1993 and chatting with people who could make things happen with computers...really make things happen. Coders, managers, hackers...they were all there and a tight nit core of about 6 of us stayed in touch for about 7 years until we went our separate ways and began to use irc less and less. The thing that I remember the most is the fact that when I joined their little group, I was a complete and total n00b. Not just a n00b to Open Source...but to computers altogether.

I look fondly back at this time and have spoken about it before...not because I don't think something like this exists now...just that I think it is a rarity. There was a time when this "spirit of open source" was all about educating and furthering the program/app that you were working on. Now it seems that when a new user comes in to any channel on irc or forum, they are told off with a hearty RTFM (Read the 'Friendly' Manual).

Where did this Elitism come from?

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Editorial; Groups: Community

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
100% agreed. salparadise 8 2,119 Jun 2, 2005 4:07 AM

You cannot post until you login.