The Open-Source War

Posted by bstadil on Oct 15, 2005 7:44 PM EDT
NY Times; By JOHN ROBB
Mail this story
Print this story

In September, the Defense Department floated a solicitation for a company to build a "system of metrics to accurately assess U.S. progress in the war on terrorism" and make suggestions on how to improve the effort. As a software executive and former Air Force counterterrorist operative, I began thinking: how would I build this system and what would I recommend? [ED: FYI, This story requires registration(free). Regardless of anyones view of the Iraqi engagement it is interesting that knowledge of the Open source methodology has reached a point where a major news paper assume it is known. ]

As Microsoft has found, that there is no good monopolistic solution to a mature open-source effort. In that case, the United States might be better off adopting I.B.M.'s embrace of open source. This solution would require renouncing the state's monopoly on violence by using Shiite and Kurdish militias as a counterinsurgency. This is similar to the strategy used to halt the insurgencies in El Salvador in the 1980's and Colombia in the 1990's. In those cases, these militias used local knowledge, unconstrained tactics and high levels of motivation to defeat insurgents (this is in contrast to the ineffectiveness of Iraq's paycheck military). This option will probably work in Iraq too.

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Editorial

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Not sure what to think! Abe 6 1,791 Oct 17, 2005 12:09 PM

You cannot post until you login.