Is Open Source Really Just as Good?

Posted by tadelste on Nov 17, 2005 3:06 PM EDT
CIO; By Michael Jung
Mail this story
Print this story

One of the great things about being a VC is that I am always meeting new and exciting companies that are focused on changing the landscape of enterprise technology. So how do you actually meet these companies, you might wonder? There are literally thousands of startups, all vying to be the next big thing. Amongst VCs, everyone has a different approach, but we’ve often found our best investments when we do two things: define a trend where innovation creates a disruption in the status quo, and listen intently to what customers (or prospective customers) are saying and doing.

In the enterprise, there is probably no greater disruption than what is going on with open source. The momentum of Linux, Apache, JBoss and MySQL is accelerating, which I am sure you already know. I won’t bore you with the myriad issues around deploying open source related technologies in the enterprise, whether that be about licensing, security, manageability, etc. I’ll leave that to the folks that are paid to write about this stuff. [Editor’s note: the latest blog post by CIO magazine’s Christopher Koch is a good dialogue on open source.] But I will leave you with one thought, which is this: if you can buy something that is at a minimum just as good as the alternatives at half the price (or less), why wouldn’t you? After all, we’re talking about technology, not luxury cars here.

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Groups: MySQL, JBoss; Story Type: News Story

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
penny pinching jimf 1 1,220 Nov 18, 2005 4:14 AM

You cannot post until you login.