Getting Windows only websites to work with Linux

Posted by larrydag on Nov 30, 2005 1:42 PM EDT
Linuxblogger; By larrydag
Mail this story
Print this story

I was confronted one day by my wife that our new SuSE Linux computer could not access a website. My wife is an avid coupon clipper. She has found the internet to be a valuable source for coupons. One such place is Albertsons which uses Smartsource to host its web based coupons. Well what my wife saw was a webpage that posted "Our printing coupon technology is not supported on Linux".

I was confronted one day by my wife that our new SuSE Linux computer could not access a website. My wife is an avid coupon clipper. She has found the internet to be a valuable source for coupons. One such place is Albertsons which uses Smartsource to host its web based coupons. Well what my wife saw was a webpage that posted "Our printing coupon technology is not supported on Linux".

Well needless to say I am a Linux user now and I am empowered. I decided I had to fix this no matter what.

My solution may not be liked by most Linux users but it solved the problem. I had to install Internet Explorer 6. I tried Opera, Firefox, Konqueror, and even Mozilla Web Browser. I even changed Browser Identifications and still nothing worked except for good old Internet Explorer. Well IE alone didn't do the trick. I also had to execute IE with Wine. I assembled a How-To with screenshots to help.

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Tutorial

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Amazing reason to keep Windows around tadelste 1 929 Dec 1, 2005 4:59 AM

You cannot post until you login.