There is no Year of the Linux Desktop

Posted by Cypress on Feb 4, 2008 9:32 AM EDT
The Linux Rant
Mail this story
Print this story

Newsflash people. There is no “Year of the Linux Desktop”. There will never be one. Before you start looking for sharp rocks to throw at me, let me start by saying I am a Linux user. I worked with all major distributions, roamed in Slackware land for about two years, tried to get accustomed to Red Hat’s RPM hell in a time when Linux was a wasteland and there were only a bunch of people that were using it.

Several years ago I settled with Debian and later Ubuntu. All the distributions above were my main desktop operating systems as I ditched Windows way back in ‘99. But one thing bothers me and drives me nuts every January. “Year of the Linux Desktop” articles. Now and then, one bright mind can’t sleep at night, so he decides to forget about New Year’s booze that hasn’t left his system yet and type a string of characters proclaiming THIS is the year of the Linux desktop. Not the next one, THIS one. It hasn’t happened yet, he can’t wait another 12 months, so THIS must be it. Then this individual goes on telling us WHY this is the year of the Linux desktop:

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Reviews; Groups: Linux

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
LOL clueless rant herzeleid 39 2,659 Feb 7, 2008 4:49 PM

You cannot post until you login.