Microsoft Makes Strategic Changes in Technology and Business Practices to Expand Interoperability

Posted by hkwint on Feb 21, 2008 12:27 PM EDT
Microsoft.com
Mail this story
Print this story

REDMOND, Wash. — Feb. 21, 2008 — Microsoft Corp. today announced a set of broad-reaching changes to its technology and business practices to increase the openness of its products and drive greater interoperability, opportunity and choice for developers, partners, customers and competitors. Specifically, Microsoft is implementing four new interoperability principles and corresponding actions across its high-volume business products: (1) ensuring open connections; (2) promoting data portability; (3) enhancing support for industry standards; and (4) fostering more open engagement with customers and the industry, including open source communities.

[ In short: Microsoft closedness is backfiring, causing them troubles and they admit it. They are finally going to specify which patents come along with which of their protocols, and going to grant cheap commercial / gratis for non commercial use RAND licenses for those patents. I think this announcement could have a very big impact on Linux & free / open source software, that's why I'm posting this Microsoft news. If you believe it it's up to you; last time I posted a MS press release about their 'openness' it turned out to be all lies (called OOXML), so be aware, you are warned! - hkwint ]

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Press Release; Groups: Community, Microsoft

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
We Need to Digest This Abe 14 5,579 Mar 11, 2008 10:03 AM
oh goody, another Announcement tuxchick 6 1,928 Feb 22, 2008 4:14 AM
Start of their plan to tax Linux softwarejanitor 1 2,029 Feb 21, 2008 10:18 PM

You cannot post until you login.