Mandrake

Story: How to Build a Low Cost Linux Desktop ComputerTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
gregor

Aug 12, 2004
3:17 AM EDT
Are there any reasons why you didn't even mention the most popular Linux distribution? http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
monge

Aug 12, 2004
8:50 AM EDT
Really good article, Can you please specify the exact model of the ECS motherboard and also of the case.

Thanks,

tadelste

Aug 12, 2004
12:32 PM EDT
The mother board is an ECS L7S72 and the case is a MGE ECO L5 350W ATX Case.
sydhancock

Aug 13, 2004
10:09 AM EDT
And your response to the Mandrake question posed above?
tadelste

Apr 26, 2005
6:05 PM EDT
Quack!
TxtEdMacs

Apr 26, 2005
6:54 PM EDT
gregor - I am assuming you are inferring that Ubuntu is the most popular distribution because it says so on distrowatch. However, either you have not given what is really reflected in the statistics you cite or you have a very little understanding of critical thought. Let's begin with something easy: distrowatch figures reflect only an approximation of unique users frequenting that one site! The term "unique visitors" may seem obvious to you. Nonetheless, it is not obvious to either the creator of that site nor to me where he and I have common experience in that we have written code to measure such statistics. Moreover, the compromises we made to arrive at what we hope are meaningful numbers are similar. Furthermore, each of us is rather circumspect in asserting the certainty of our respective numbers. Hence, what makes you even for an instant believe you can extrapolate from this one site to an overall estimate of actual usage? I know of locations heavily invested in Linux. Nonetheless, it is more likely that they will either ignore or dissemble when asked if they even use Linux. Moreover, these locations would most probably would not even give any consideration to using any distribution less than first tier.

Now explain to me the basis of your assertions.

Before you do, consider this: the probable most probable distribution on even most Linux sites is still probably one sort of Windows or another.
AnonymousCoward

Apr 26, 2005
9:45 PM EDT
TxtEdMacs: My own site shows 38.6% firefox, 31.2% MSIE, 10.7% bots, 9.7% old-style mozilla, 7.4% konqueror, 1.0% opera, and a smattering of others, including humour-laden strings like:

• telnet0.1 noone@example.org
  • diecoBrowser/1.0 (CP/M; 8-bit)
  • Generic
  • D:\\+\\5\\5.exe
  • ...plus many random-crap one-hit-wonders with UserAgents like "owfvvvapgadxuVcuyrawitgwmfo 1Vmkr1sumsg".

120,000 hits comprising 633 visits so far this month, 140,000 and 733 in May.
    TxtEdMacs

Apr 28, 2005
    5:12 AM EDT
    Here is a bit of supporting data point for gregor assertion that Ubuntu leads (from the linux.conf.au Linux Conference Australia): "...a large number of attendees were running Ubuntu. Even when the Canonical employees are factored out (the company seems to have moved its offices to Canberra for the conference), Ubuntu has clearly claimed a significant part of the distribution "market" among Linux developers... " Taken from the Linux Weekly News discussing the aforementioned conference.

I would be disingenuous if I did not admit I was surprised to read this.
    AnonymousCoward

Apr 28, 2005
    5:50 AM EDT
    TxtEdMacs: call me skeptical, but having every attendee handed a copy of Ubuntu HoaryHedgehog on CD (one live, one installer) might have influenced things. Jeremy Malcolm now runs a dual-boot OS X/Ubuntu Mac notebook, for example.

Since the organisers were too busy to do this, I installed Linux on the 5 Terminal Room (Moran G007) desktop PCs. As Ubuntu was to hand, they became Ubuntu too (in fact, I stuck a HOWTO up on the wiki about it: http://wiki2005.linux.conf.au/index.php/HoaryOnDellGX270).

Then it turned out that one machine was broken and nobody had the BIOS password for another, so Bob the network manager came down and said "We advertised 'a variety of Linux machines' so we have to have some" and firmly instructed me to not put Ubuntu on the remaining two machines (it turned out that the busted two had popcorn capacitors) so they became Fedora Core 2 (CDs to hand) and Mandrake 10.2 (network install). We wound up with, clockwise from nearest the centre of the room:

tonysux: Ubuntu HoaryHedgehog fedora: Ubuntu HoaryHedgehog beige: Fedora Core 2 mandrake: Ubuntu HoaryHedgehog incapacitoritated: Mandriva 2005 LE
    TxtEdMacs

Apr 28, 2005
    6:18 AM EDT
    AnonymousCoward - since I pounded gregor pretty hard (and I still think my points are valid) it would have been dishonest if I had not mentioned the possibility there might be other supporting evidence to the assertion that Ubuntu was the most popular distribution. Note I am still waiting for him/her to supply any support or analysis to what I think was simple minded reflex reaction with no real thought behind it.

Thanks again for supplying real insight behind the "numbers", the reported findings to me were incongruous.

[Note: this is a touchy subject for me, because I still have difficulties coming to terms with the compromises I made composing software to supposedly measure real OS and browser usage statistics.]
    robT

Apr 28, 2005
    8:23 AM EDT
    Geez. Since he wrote the original post 8 months ago, I don't think he was referring to Ubuntu.
    sbergman27

Apr 28, 2005
    8:43 AM EDT
    Yes. It all depends on where you look. According to Netcraft, Redhat is, by far, the most popular distribution followed, rather distantly, by Debian, and then Suse and Fedora. Mandrake is shown, but it barely registers on the graph.

Based on my experience with Mandrake some time back, I would not be surprised if much of the Mandrake traffic on Distrowatch is people looking for support resources when their Mandrake desktop doesn't work right.
    TxtEdMacs

Apr 28, 2005
    8:56 AM EDT
    You are right - at 12 months it is Mandrake at 6 it is close to the current standings:

Data span: Rank Distribution H.P.D* 1 Ubuntu 1857< 2 Mandriva 1572> 3 Fedora 1358<

I guess he back dates the descriptions, because it was still Mandrake until very recently.
    tuxchick

Apr 28, 2005
    1:44 PM EDT
    so what's the point of Ubuntu? It has lot of rough edges, and it doesn't appear to offer anything better than other distros. Just the flavor of the day, it looks to me. I like my real Debian, thankyou very much :)
    helios

Apr 28, 2005
    2:06 PM EDT
    You know Tuxchick...I read most everything you write here and I have to say...you busted that right in the butt! Short, sweet and deadly accurate. We could hang out ;-0

helios
    sbergman27

Apr 28, 2005
    2:58 PM EDT
    It would be nice if Debian users would identify themselves before posting propaganda. Is Tuxchick a user of the Rock Solid "Debian Obsolete"? Or perhaps the Debian "Kind of Less Stable Than The Average Distro But That's OK Because Debian Stable Is The Official Release And It's Rock Solid, And So Who Cares If We Don't Get Security Patches" distro? Or maybe the Debian "This Thing Is Really Unusable But It Has The COOLEST Cutting Edge Stuff In It, And I Don't Even Care About Security Patches" distro.?

When Debian fans come out of the woodwork, do any of the rest of you feel like a victim of guerilla tactics? Debian is multiple distributions but nobody ever specifies which one they are talking about when they sing its virtues.

I'm not an Ubuntu user, but if anything has "busted" anything "right in the butt", it looks to me like Ubuntu has booted the Debian guys right out of their Ivory Tower and made them realize that to be taken seriously they've got to release something official, at least occasionally.

It has also shown them that the reason they have never had to deal with "dependency hell" is that they have had the luxury of controlling their territory with an iron hand. Now that there is a (threatenengly) popular Debian based distro right on their doorstep, they are having to give real thought to how to handle dependencies when they are not the only player on the stage.
    tuxchick

Apr 28, 2005
    4:15 PM EDT
    Come to the light..... join usssssss.......

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!