You're not fooling me Jack

Story: Novell sees a 'both-source' futureTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
windowsrefund

Sep 13, 2004
2:36 PM EDT
How is it that some people believe that freedom-restricting software can can co-exist with Free Software? The two models are at total opposite ends of the spectrum. Proprietary licenses are designed to control the distribution of knowledge while Free Software creates a level playing field. Technically (barring the discussion of software patents and other forms of IP), there's nothing stopping the two animals from playing together nicely. What Jack doesn't understand (or more likely, does understand but would rather not admit) is that the question can not be answered by looking at it from a purely technical perspective. One must look deeper at the motives of each camp. Code is code; yes. If licenses did not exist and we wanted package "foo" to work with package "bar", we could establish interoperability through the use of open standards. However, we all know that this fantasy world (license-free software) does not exist. So to be more accurate with my statement above, it's the licenses that are incompatible. We need to start calling Jack on this.

The good news is that we have options. Novell is not the only game in town when it comes to GNU/Linux. If I needed a support SLA, I would personally give my business to Red Hat because they are a pure Open Source play. For those not in need of the service, Debian makes a GREAT distro (often regarded as the most stable as well). In other words, I personally don't see what Novell is bringing to the table and wonder how long they'll manage to benefit from riding on the coat tails of both the Free and Open Source software communities.

Adam
slippery

Sep 13, 2004
3:54 PM EDT
Adam, I agree with some of what you said and disagree with other parts.

First, I agree that Jack M. either does not understand open source well, or her understands it but has to sell Netware software anyway and is trying his best. He is dead wrong about open source databases needing proprietary apps on top to drive development. MySQL and Postgresql grew just fine without any proprietary drivers.

But, there are some things that closed source does better than open source, like vertical apps, tax software, and entertainment. Things that require specialized non-computer knowledge, like tax law, require tax lawyers, who don't help build tax apps for free. Maybe that will change in the future, but there is no open source equivalent of turbo tax. Cutting edge games still come from proprietary game shops and I'm OK with that. Game software is different than infrastructure software or office software or browsers that everyone needs. It is also not critical and has zero lock-in ability. I mean, I don't need to bring my Doom3 files with me to my next OS install or need to use them 10 years from now like my legal docs and resume.

So, I think they can co-exist with each type thriving where it works best. The only thing Novell has to offer right now is a great directory service. NIS and OpenLDAP are not as robust and not as easy to use, believe me I've tried. If Novell can port their full eDirectory client to the Linux desktop, they would have something valuable to sell. Whether they can and will do that is another matter.

I am pulling for Novell, but they've messed up these kinds of things in the past, so I am not getting excited about the prospects.

Peace, Slippery

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!