I understand your stance, however, ...

Story: Sun sets up open-source Solaris projectTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Sep 14, 2004
9:30 AM EDT
remember OpenOffice owes its existence to Sun. Moreover, agreed they seem schizophrenic regarding Linux and 'Open Source' in its various guises but they have contributed in the past. Furthermore, there have been bigger doses of vapor by others that never delivered either prior to their announcement nor afterward.

[I think I read this same article elsewhere so I do not intent to vote, however, I have seen too much rancor against symbols such as Sun and RedHat that are certainly warranted particularly in regard to the latter.]
mojavelinux

Sep 14, 2004
11:11 AM EDT
Hey, I'm just saying, tell me about it when it happens. Do I doubt it will happen? No, it will happen, I am sure of that. Sun definitely has good people. I just hate news that isn't. We know they are planning it, we heard that before. So this is just "keep everyone on their toes" type of news.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 15, 2004
4:15 AM EDT
mojavelinux - just read your post and I am in agreement, it is just common to see posts well before the action. Moreover, you seem more certain than I that they will follow through. I cannot believe Solaris will appear soon due to the SCO threats.

I wish to thank you for your response, because I noticed a gross error in my original post:

s/warranted/unwarranted/ -- as written that was a gross distortion of the point I was trying to make. Prior to my posting I read of a professor that thought it was unjustified for RedHat to expect payment for their distribution (approximately) 'all they do is repackage the distribution'. This is astounding ignorance, since for years RedHat paid the maintainer of the current kernel. Moreover, many on the Gnome development core were employees of RedHat. What puzzled me is that Suse had such a good reputation with Yast being cited by many users, yet until Suse was acquired by Novell Yast was NOT GPL'ed!! Enough you get my drift.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!