LXER ratings system

Story: Sun sets up open-source Solaris projectTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Sep 14, 2004
10:06 PM EDT
Looking at the votes, they're voting on Sun's position, not on whether the article was good reporting or not. I think LXer should reference articles like this, but think the intent of the article itself is very ho-hum. I haven't even read it to assess the reporting skills of the author, which a the third (content) factor.

Who would like the ability to vote +/- the intent, content and LXer suitability on a six-by-two grid? And perhaps later filter on one or more grid rows once one side of that row hits ten votes?
TxtEdMacs

Sep 15, 2004
3:37 AM EDT
I think you have a valid approach - one of the reasons I did not vote was the too simple fully for or against, neither of which would have been my response. I am somewhat reserved about a grid, because it may require too much reflection, hence, 1 to 10 scoring with a comment may be slightly easier though just a slight bit more enlightening to the eye of the passerby.
dave

Sep 15, 2004
4:01 AM EDT
Are you proposing a form that could be filled out for each story. with multiple choices?

dave
Void_Main

Sep 15, 2004
8:56 AM EDT
I had brought this up before. I wanted there to be an option for a middle of the road vote (ho-hum if you will), although I didn't ask for a distinction between writer and content. There are several that I would have voted down the middle on but just couldn't vote. Now that Dave has implemented the vote comment that would allow us to give a short "ho-hum" comment.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 15, 2004
11:13 AM EDT
I would propose a single digit in the range of 1 to 9 where 5 is absolutely neutral, 1 is extremely bad and 9 extremely good. A comment on the criteria used might be used by another reader as to how much weight to give the assessment.

[I Love the built-in spell checker: great! I am the second worst English speller in the world.]
techieMoe

Sep 16, 2004
7:23 AM EDT
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
Void_Main

Sep 16, 2004
8:02 AM EDT
I are a good speller.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!