Solaris to become magic weapon?

Story: Sun's OpenSolaris Plans Start to EmergeTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
r_a_trip

Sep 16, 2004
11:17 PM EDT
Sun doesn't seem to get it. It really looks like they are convinced that the "Open Sourcing" of solaris will be the poison pill that kills Linux.

Maybe that they have a slight chance in succeeding to push GNU/Linux off it's revered place as main FOSS OS, but their model better be like OpenOffice.org. Solaris needs to be Free for their plan to succeed, but is Sun willing to relinquish control to this level? I think not.

Most probably it'll be a license that says, look, touch after permission and don't you ever dare forking it or add it to anything other than Solaris. It could help building a strong (but small) Solaris loyalist community, which might be just what Sun needs.

Can it impact our Flagship GNU/Linux OS? I doubt it. While some might stick to Solaris, because they know it and they like it, I don't see the whole FOSS community flocking in droves around Solaris. If it's Free enough we will welcome it to the fold, but it'll be another niche flavor of Open Source Unix.

To be successful in FOSS, you need more than code and an OSI/FSF approved license. You need trust, dependability and momentum. I haven't seen Sun being very busy building that lately...
TxtEdMacs

Sep 17, 2004
7:11 AM EDT
Perhaps you should look at the discussion on yesterday's Linux Weekly News:

http://lwn.net/Articles/101411/

Some people has similar worries, e.g. "... worst-case scenario, ... will also "taint" any developer who looks at the Solaris code ..." That means if you can even be proved to have peeked at the code you are disallowed from making any contribution to a free OS.

Moreover, there are a listing of less drastic possibilities, but still not an overall gain to Free, Open Source Software. To balance this, until recently Sun has seemed quite benign regarding the Open Office Organization - and even there their words are soothing while the potential for harm by MS against OOo does not seem mitigated by those words.

cjcox

Sep 20, 2004
6:48 AM EDT
1. Hatred of Red Hat (but LOVERS of Linux!).

2. Long term intimate relationship with SCO.

3. Friend of Microsoft.

And now... they can be your friend too!
peragrin

Sep 21, 2004
4:55 AM EDT
Sun needs to sort it self out in a hurray.

They made a deal with the devil who will turn on them at the best chance.

They think Linux ==Red hat, so they will lose to Novell

They think Sparc Rulez. while Sparc is good, it will lose out to x86 and Power chip running at 4 times the speed.

Sun needs a target, MSFT is to big, Red Hat to Agile, IBM is to big, and Novell is gonna blind side them.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!