Hope it ends better than the last time ...

Story: Mandrakesoft in $7.3 million stock sell-offTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Sep 17, 2004
9:53 AM EDT
With cash in hand and a new management the Mandrake of old went on an acquisition binge. So much so it was moving away from Linux and attempting to become a powerful software vendor.

The concise story was that it brought Mandrake to the brink of bankruptcy and the creators of Mandrake bought that management team out and returned to the truer path of free software and Linux. As a member of the Mandrake Club (?) then and now, I observed this latter team do things I considered less than ethical. That is, they pitched their stock to non-Europeans despite not meeting the meager protections provided by the U.S. statutes for investments. They implied they could meet those standards, but lacked the means to pursue them. It turned out not to be true, not long later they were forced to enter what was described as the European Chapter 11. I never got a satisfactory answer when I inquired about what happened to those investors duped into buying Mandrake stock with their encouragement. Really, I got no answer.

So consider yourselves warned: they went astray once and idiots that think they are the world's gift to business have neither smarts nor patience to succeed by hard work are always looking for short cuts with your cash. I cannot tell you if they are repeating the same pattern, because I only use the form to get copies of the new releases that interest me. Moreover, I have not read the notices and newsletters as closely as I used to do. While I like the Mandrake distributions, I will find another vendor if the kill themselves this time.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!