Let me get this straight

Story: UN-funded group to target developing world with Desktop Linux LiveCDTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Void_Main

Sep 22, 2004
2:07 PM EDT
"The International Open Source Network (IOSN) has published a free preview of its upcoming LiveCD that will allow computer users to experience the Linux desktop without requiring installation of the open source OS their PCs."

And they require a browser with a proprietary plugin to view the interactive demo? Just doesn't seem right. :) Oh well, I have to think that the effort is an overall positive although I do need to learn more about it.
dave

Sep 23, 2004
3:49 AM EDT
Don't present a problem without presenting the solution. If they shouldn't have used Flash, then what should they have used for the demo? Animated gifs?

dave
Void_Main

Sep 23, 2004
10:27 AM EDT
I didn't present a problem. I was just pointing out what I thought was a little hypocritical. I don't see any possible advantage to having the demo in flash. There is an alternative called SVG. My solution would be to not have the flash there in the first place. A well presented HTML demo is more than enough along with offering the CD. All they have to do is boot it, no installation required.
dave

Sep 23, 2004
10:29 AM EDT
Quoting:A well presented HTML demo is more than enough

How do you including the voice with the HTML? I've never seen a well-done HTML demo that incorporates a voice-walkthrough.

dave
Void_Main

Sep 23, 2004
11:22 AM EDT
Do you really need a voice? Have you actually watched it? I have a hard enough time staying awake at work, that really put me to sleep.
dave

Sep 23, 2004
2:03 PM EDT
I watched just a couple minutes ago. It's kind of a tutorial of GNOME, with a voice walking you through the whole thing. The voice is synced with the action. (Click on the hat ... cursor clicks on hat)

dave

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!