How does the story posted at 10:30am differ from the one at !:51pm?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Sep 23, 2004
10:23 AM EDT
RE: " Hardening Linux authentication and user identity"

Both items had the identical title and it seemed the identical summary text. However, reading each full story they seemed to differ only in the site where it was posted. I am not 100% certain but the text of each article seemed to be nearly identical. Moreover, each had the same attribution to being an extract from the book "Hardening Linux".

I would suggest that later citations be shown as updates perhaps citing the earlier postings. [I do not know how difficult that may be to implement.] It became a real pain with the spate of Sun postings where on one day the article beneath contradicted the one just above. [I know this differs from the current problem, but it was painful reading the contorted logic in the Sun 'articles'.]
dave

Sep 23, 2004
10:27 AM EDT
Blame newsforge first for including that Linux.com story in their RSS feed (thus causing me to pick it up) and then of course it shows on linux.com's rss feed later.

Finally, blame me for not noticing. I've corrected it, though.

dave
TxtEdMacs

Sep 23, 2004
2:14 PM EDT
Not attempting to assess blame on anyone, especially not you.

By the way do you have a very young child? From the posting times, it appears they could correlate with feedings. Or do you just not sleep?
dave

Sep 24, 2004
3:04 AM EDT
I have 3 children, the youngest just turned 1. But they all manage to sleep through the night. As for me, that's a different matter. :-)

dave

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!