Exploited

Story: Free software and programmers exploitationTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
zjim

Sep 25, 2004
12:44 PM EDT
I know there are lots of companies in the past and still the present that have great benefits to those that do development work. I managed to work for companies that weren't so greatful. Promising any thing from my being able to receive full rights to software I develop, to promises of bonuses. All of these promises were broken. Many times I had to work 60 and 70 hour weeks with no time off or other compensation. The position was no better than many other jobs. I enjoyed this article because it approached the question by saying that benefits that companies offer isn't the reason programmers provide GPL software. I've written shareware, but decided I hated trying to pedal software by crippling it. Instead, I moved to freeware, but was happy when I finally had the solution of the GPL. Since I'm now unemployed I enjoy writing software and giving it away under the GPL. It's a great feeling to create some thing that doesn't just help you, but others as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!