Linux WIFI

Story: ShutdownTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Void_Main

Oct 02, 2004
10:05 AM EDT
I believe Intel can be to blame for not having working drivers for the Centrino based WIFI chips. I won't buy one with this chipset but instead opt for using an Atheros based PCMCIA card in which the MADWIFI drivers work great with. I prefer the LinkSys WPC55AG which will do 802.11 a, b, and g. Kismet likes that setup too. I also like the WRT54G (or WRT54GS) access point. It runs Linux and is easy to create custom firmware for. Here I have one running a simple web site:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net:81/

I agree though. It would be nice if hardware vendors would become more Linux friendly/aware.
rhrob

Oct 02, 2004
7:58 PM EDT
I think that there is a driver available from sourceforge for the Intel mini PCI with Centrino. I have a Dell and the card came as default. Anyway I had the laptop for 5 or 6 mnths. before the driver became available, so in the mean time I purchased a Dell Truemobile 1500 and their base station. The Intel unit is fried already (duel boot system) and the PCMCIA keeps plugging away. No problems at all with the base unit, cheap and efficient.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!