someone clarify, please

Story: Open-Source Java Brewing in BrazilTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
mojavelinux

Oct 04, 2004
4:41 PM EDT
Here is what I don't understand about open-source Java. If we (the community) already have the source code to the public API, how is it possible to make an open-source version and claim that it isn't just a copy of Sun's version? Is it that there is a lot more to the JVM then the public API that justifies that the implementation will be different? I am beginning to understand the huge catch22 with "shared source" licensing, which is effectively what Sun has done here. The other problem is, how can you innovate if Sun is over here saying "just make it compatible?" Basically I am extremely confused how this is all going to work. Sun really pisses me off a lot of the time...

Now I want to jump to a tangent. I recently read an interview with the lead of the JDO specification and there is another bone I have to pick with Sun. It seems that Sun is extremely arrogant regarding the time that vendors put into implementations of Sun's specs. The interview was about the "new" JDO that will be a part of EJB 3.0. When asked whether it will be compatible with the current JDO or with existing vendor APIs, Craig responded that it would be different, but that vendors will quickly write implementations. If I were a vendor reading that, I would tell Sun to go F themselves and begin pushing my API with as much $ as marketing could afford. Just because the Sun god decided they want to make a new specification that will void all the rest, all vendors just have to fall in line?? I really hope that somebody eats Sun for lunch, like maybe IBM.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!