Linux books

Story: Report: Linux Books--Then and NowTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Void_Main

Oct 04, 2004
5:43 PM EDT
I have shelves upon shelves of computer books. My books from 15-25 years ago are worn, tattered and taped. I got into Linux 12 or so years ago and there were no distributions or books at that time. By the time there were books on the subject there wasn't really anything to learn from any of the ones I had ever thumbed through.

I had several Linux books given to me (many signed by the authors) but I don't recall ever doing more than a quick browse through them to see what they covered. I don't believe I have a book on my shelf that is less than 4 or 5 years old.

I guess I am one of the exceptions to the last page of the article I am commenting on. For me the Internet and Google have long replaced books. It's so much faster to get the information I need from Google. And with my Linux notebook and wireless card I can still do my reading in "the library", where most of my tattered books got their tatter.
rob

Oct 05, 2004
8:45 AM EDT
Exactly!

This is what I have found too. My bookshelf is littered with linux (and related) books, but the only books I read are programming books. You are completely right, picking up a book at random reveals antique content of little value... I google for the most stuff, though lately I noticed that google seem to have problem finding "new" sites, so if the information you are looking for is on a new site, your'e out of luck (both yahooo and "the other" is better).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!