Yea you know....

Story: For First Time, Technology Tracks Growth of Desktop LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
rm6990

Oct 14, 2004
7:36 AM EDT
Yea you know...because everyone's first experience with Linux is Linspire....

Take a look at how much they are bashed at linuxquestions.org....it turns a lot of newbies off of Linspire. This technology proves nothing.
dave

Oct 14, 2004
10:08 AM EDT
I'm not suggesting anything, but I'm a little suspicious of this map. I'd love to know the actual details of how this map was produced. There are no details on the website of exactly how they got this map, nor of how they superimposed the coordinates on top of the widely available "nighttime sky" picture that was recently features on NASA's website.

In fact, their map is almost identical to NASA's nighttime map, all the way down to the little town in which I live and am the only Linux user here (and it's not Linspire).

dave
dave

Oct 14, 2004
10:45 AM EDT
I've looked at it again, and it's obvious now that the white lights are simply city lights that are original to the NASA picture, but the red dots are actual users. That makes a world of difference and they did not make this clear on their page or in the press release.

dave
Glimmung

Oct 14, 2004
11:07 AM EDT
I know a lot of Linux users, but none use Linspire/Lindows, nor have they ever. So this map will severely under represent the use of Linux if my situation is typical.

And one has to call into question the IP logging idea, after all it's a little ambiguous when most ISPs assign most home users dynamic IP addresses, or am I missing something?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!