not one for stats

Story: Eclipse Gaining TractionTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
mojavelinux

Oct 15, 2004
4:56 PM EDT
I am not really one for stats because frankly they are boring. Eclipse is an incredible IDE, but there is still work to be done. JBuilder is big piece of cow dung. It integrates about every feature under the sun, making it a behemoth and a very poor user interface. I like the title of Bruce Tate's latest book for Eclipse: "Better, Lighter, Faster Java" Eclipse is there for you when you need it, always one step ahead, but patient for you to make the call. JBuilder (and the like) are two steps ahead without a leash. It always tries to do things that you don't want it to do.

What shocks me about these stats, however, is that Eclipse is being used primarily for server side development, yet out the box it doesn't support anything but standard Java (as opposed to J2EE). The web tools are coming, but I believe it is the main reason why other IDEs are still used. There is, of course, the MyEclipse plugin, but it isn't part of the eclipse project and hence not quite as elegant as the platform itself.

I hope that corporate shops wake up and smell the coffee, there is an Eclipse on the horizon.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!