Perhaps MySQL is pursuing the wrong goals

Story: MySQL 4.1 moves in on OracleTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Oct 27, 2004
6:17 AM EDT
MySQL forte has been support of heavily used web sites with hight performance and low maintenance database. To aspire to become a leading RDBMS is probably wasted effort or too much effort for too little return (c.f. "In your dreams: MySQL nearing parity ..." thread).

They should consider to that their place may be taken by the recent contribution by IBM of a light weight database to the Apache Foundation as an incubator project. MySQL could find itself losing on two fronts: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticl... against the new Derby database (once known as Cloudscape).

Anyone with more experience than I with MySQL care to comment?
slippery

Oct 28, 2004
3:38 AM EDT
Maybe I should not comment because I haven't used the IBM database, and IBM has a good track record of incubation projects such as Postfix. But I've used MySQL in critical production apps for 5 years and I trust it with my career. It may not scale as high as Oracle or DB2, but for 95% of all business apps, I think it performs at very high level with no hassles. In one application, I am using replication to spread the load between 3 MySQL servers and it has been rock solid. It was also easy to configure. I've used Oracle, SQL Server, Progress, Pervasive, and Postgresql, but strongly prefer MySQL over all others. I simply love it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!