Logical fallacy

Story: Microsoft's Ballmer bombards Linux OSTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
bstadil

Oct 27, 2004
9:35 AM EDT
This is not stated explicit in the article but I think it needs pointing out. One of MS' major arguments on the security front is that Windows is such a big target compared to Linux that naturally they get hit more often.

Even if true then your should switch to linux until they constitute equal size. Someone should ask Ballmer when he expect Linux on the desktop to overtake Windows. If the answer is never then you should permanently stay with the Penquin. QED
pben

Oct 27, 2004
4:18 PM EDT
I like the quote that Linux lacks structured development. What was that little problem with Longhorn again?

Better a thousand amateurs getting something done than a hundred professionals that still can't get the file system that they promised in Cairo (a.k.a. Windows 2000) and recycled the press releases for Longhorn.

TxtEdMacs

Oct 28, 2004
8:42 AM EDT
I would not be too quick to blame the MS developers, who are a talented bunch. The core problem is that MS is pushing an ulterior agenda. In this case, they seem to be aiming at integrating SQL Server as part of the new OS and its file system. While based on good Sybase technology, MS has not been content with keeping it clean. (For example, see how MS encryption was easily broken early on as cited in the O'Reilly book: Transact-SQL Programming). MS has extended the language without always having the goal of a strengthened the syntax and worthwhile feature enhancements. Hence, I suspect the underlying, base motives are hindering the new file system.
AnonymousCoward

Nov 01, 2004
4:58 AM EDT
Er, pben, wasn't that FS originally supposed to be in Chicago AKA Win95?
TxtEdMacs

Nov 01, 2004
8:03 AM EDT
A.C.: I have no idea, until very recently I had no idea what was promised even for Longhorn, since I have no intention of using it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!