The Final Hurdles ????

Story: Desktop Linux: The Final HurdlesTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
jasonbrooks

Nov 11, 2004
11:01 AM EDT
I disagree with you saying "The final hurdles". I use linux at the house (and I like it), but not at the office, and I don't see any near future where I will. I do not see a short list of things that needs to done. I see a long long list. The biggest item on my list is lack of Windows Compatible programs. There is Openoffice.org which work with MS Office, but that's about it. Lets face facts most companies use Windows. If get an e-mail attachment form a client It's going to from a Windows program. Which may be a AutoCAD drawing, MS Project file, or an Access database in which finding a Linux program to open these type files is a nightmare. There also seems to be a lack of companies willing to work on these short comings. I may be wrong but I had heard there are now more linux users than Mac users, but still I can find more Mac programs than Linux programs. Another short coming of Linux is hardware, when buying new hardware for Windows computer you do have to look on the side of box to see if It will work with Windows. It does. Printers are the worsts, not far behind is wireless networking cards. Yet another gripe it is there is no unity in Linux. Kde is getting there. Many people complained when Microsoft strong armed Companies to use there common .lib's and .dll's, but is nice to the same common dialog box on every Windows program. A bigger part of product is it's look and feel. People don't buy hummers because they are good on gas. They look cool and there is hype behind them. Linux needs to look better, and have unity. Every program in linux should have "crl+c" as copy for example. The last thing I really think has been a mistake with Linux is not trying harder to make a personal desktop sooner. Most people I know learn the computer skills at home, and playing on the inter-net at there house before landing the job that lets them play at work. Ok, so lets now that young man or woman who has worked with Windows in there home is now starting a business there not going to jump ship. I do hope I'm wrong about most of the above because I like Linux, I just think it needs more work.
techieMoe

Nov 11, 2004
12:09 PM EDT
You're wrong about most of the above. :p No really, some of the points you make I agree with, Linux is a work in progress. I do think some standardization is definitely a good thing, but all things in moderation. Too much standardization stifles creativity IMHO. Forcing a user to only use Gnome rather than giving them the choice between Gnome and KDE for instance is too much standardization for me. In a business world I can see the advantage, but I'm not a business Linux user.
jasonbrooks

Nov 11, 2004
12:15 PM EDT
techieMoe Wrote: In a business world I can see the advantage, but I'm not a business Linux user.

JasonBrooks: I agree. That is why the 2nd line in my first post was ... I use linux at the house (and I like it), but not at the office,
cjcox

Nov 11, 2004
12:37 PM EDT
I use CrossOver Office with Office Prof (2K, XP)... No problems with Word/Excel/PP/Access. I've used bricscad (beta) for Autocad ([url=http://www.bricscad.com/news/BricsCad goes Linux English.htm]http://www.bricscad.com/news/BricsCad goes Linux English.htm[/url])

With regards to hardware, do your research before you buy. It's pretty easy to get good printers, wireless, etc for Linux.

We have 25 users using Linux as their primary desktop at our office.
jasonbrooks

Nov 11, 2004
12:51 PM EDT
I have not tried CrossOver Office, but I tried bricscad. It's not very good. I have alot of problems with zooming on drawing with a good bit of detail. It would work better if they did a port to Linux instead of using Wine. Still though these are all programs that are made for Windows. Does Execl VBA Macro work in CrossOver Office? Regards of you statement about the hardware you said a alot when saying "do your research before you buy". That's my point. With Windows there is not researching, Companies like Novell, RedHat, and others need to pressuring hardware manufactures to for Linux compatibly. I would like know how many Windows computer your company has and how offen you use them.
cjcox

Nov 12, 2004
2:07 PM EDT
Ugghhh... Red Hat, Novell, etc. do not "pressure" hardware manufacturers. If people would change their buying habits and communicate to the vendors, then they'll change. For example, if we could train the Microsoft shops to buy with an eye towards Linux compatibility, then things might change... regardless of whether they run Linux or not.

In all fairness, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of vendors including a Tux logo on their products to indicate Linux compatibility. I think this trend will continue. Also, now that you can order from the major players (Dell, HP, IBM and even Sun) hardware that will work with Linux, this too will help bring more players to the space.

Briscad is considering the possibility of doing a native port: "In a first phase the software will run in the WINE environment, enabling a quick availability on a fast growing market."
cjcox

Nov 12, 2004
2:17 PM EDT
Oh... and I haven't had any problems with Excel macros.. but YMMV. I don't create too many spreadsheets, but have received many with macros and they have worked fine.
AnonymousCoward

Nov 14, 2004
6:37 AM EDT
"With Windows there is not researching," - that's really sad. So many Windows drivers and applications clash amongst themselves and with each other, even under XP where "DLL Hell has been cured". XP SP2 broke a lot of applications, and a lot of drivers. Unlike Linux, you can't just patch around the problem on the spot and get everyone your site going again, you have to wait weeks/months/forever for some unhappy Korean wage slave to get around to fixing it instead. If they still support the device at all. And then Microsoft break it again with the next patch-set. Or you can revert XP2 - maybe - and get splattered when the next virus beats the signature update to your mail server. The way to get better Linux applications is to start using it at the office. Put BricsCAD/IntelliCAD on a PC which isn't your main desktop and tell BricsCAD how it went. Then ask them how far away a native version is. Do this with each new release. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!