sig file?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
a_hippie

Nov 22, 2004
8:12 AM EDT
I am trying to use this site as a LT refugee. I like both sites for different reasons, but the one thing I'd like is for my posts to automatically amend my sig file. Any hope of adding this type of support to the site?

I'm still trying to get used to the main page hyperlinks. Unlike LT, the main link takes the user directly to the source without wading through the talkback area first. I kind of like the talkback link-through.

By the way, anyone else using this site instead of LT?

That's all :)

Wishing you well.
dave

Nov 22, 2004
8:37 AM EDT
Hi there a_hippie, welcome to LXer :)

Quoting:one thing I'd like is for my posts to automatically amend my sig file. Any hope of adding this type of support to the site?

Well, I don't have access to alter any files on your computer, and, if I did, in what way would I amend your file?

Dave
a_hippie

Nov 22, 2004
8:48 AM EDT
Greetings Dave:

I think I didn't make myself clear. When I post on THIS forum, I'd like my posts to automatically append (not ammend) my signature file. An example of this is at LT, where a user can set preferences on the site like adding sig files to talkback posts. Another great example is the Libranet forum (I think they use PHPbb there).

Does that make more sense? Heehee, it *is* Monday after all :)

Wishing you well.
dave

Nov 22, 2004
9:06 AM EDT
Ahh yes, that helps tremendously. :)

Well, having an auto-appended line of text would be somewhat fun, but I'm not really convinced of its usefulness. It seems like a better thing to do would be to allow you to customize your member page (click on your name to view that) where you could put whatever you wanted.

To me, the threads (discussions) should not have graphics, buttons, annoying animated avatars, signatures, etc, but rather only the text that the person is writing. Call me a conservative webmaster, but that's just my own preference.

What do you think about all this?

Dave
TxtEdMacs

Nov 22, 2004
10:18 AM EDT
The comments should stress ideas and incite those that disagree to reply in kind with counter proposals. To me those are transfered the most cleanly via simple text. [OK, throw in some HTML when you want to stress a tone.]
a_hippie

Nov 22, 2004
4:22 PM EDT
Sig file is what I miss right now--I'll get over it if others don't like the idea. I'm also unmotivated about buttons and the like. As far as html (or other code), it doesn't really matter to me. It's just as easy to use the text *tricks* etc. I haven't tried to post a URL here yet, but I doubt that will be a problem.

-- Wishing you well
dominic

Nov 22, 2004
6:44 PM EDT
Personally, I really like the format of this site. Très minimaliste. I like links to open in the current window. Go lynx! Okay, I use firefox and abuse sigs and all the rest of that good fun. Basically, so long as there aren't frames, I'm happy with whatever web-authors want to use for their sites.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!