Leader?!

Story: Open Source Leader Takes Sun's Schwartz to TaskTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
alex

Nov 28, 2004
8:45 AM EDT
Who made esr a leader? He is an ideologist of Open Source and self-approinted spokesman but surely no leader.
bstadil

Nov 28, 2004
9:03 AM EDT
Alex, I disagree. He wrote the seminal Paper The Cathedral and the Bazaar and is looked upon by many inside (whatever that means) and notably outside the community as a leader and vocal spokes person. He maintains a few projects and the Hacker Jargon file among other. http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral...

Head on over to Thelinuxshow Tuesday at 8pm Central where he is almost always participating. You might not agree with all he says but he is very articulate and refreshingly intelligent. http://www.thelinuxshow.com/
cjcox

Nov 28, 2004
9:29 PM EDT
fetchmail is pretty neat as well...

The issue was an interpretation of Cathedral and Bazaar ... terms used by esr in that seminal paper.
tadelste

Nov 29, 2004
9:10 AM EDT
I should weigh in here. I like Eric personally - as a friend. I don't agree with every single thing he says, but he's 90% . I also consider his contribution to open-source as huge. He's a remarkable man.

But Alex is right - Eric is self-appointed. That's not a problem. He said "follow me" and has added a lot of sanity to some very radical points of view from the community. I don't think open-source would be where it is today if the only spokesperson was Richard Stallman. And Richard is a critically important figure here also.

Eric had a lot to do with Apple going open-source with OS X - even though it's not 100% open-source. So, he does work hard at his job.

You don't have to defend Eric, his work speaks for itself.

But he is self-proclaimed and OSI had no official standing other than he says so. Like money, it's all about the agreement. Fortunately, a vast number of people agree with him.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!