MS alternative

Story: Dutch MPs fight Microsoft dealTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
colesen

Dec 13, 2004
8:32 PM EDT
Governments build roads, bridges, railways, power grids, water ways, hospitals, TV networks, airports, etc. Large scale capital goods that are a must and for everybody. Software has entered that category. So why not also software? There is something wrong with allowing entire government infrastructures to be so dependent on a few business vendors and so much in particular on just one - MS. I'd love to see the governments of Europe gang together to somehow help spawn an enterprise for establishing an alternative to MS. Similar to how the Concorde, Airbus, the Channel tunnel, etc. came about. Similar to China's upcoming own version of Linux. I'm sure most wouldn't mind having 10-20 Euro's added to their tax bill for the purpose. Once established then such enterprise should manage on its own. Asis the market is impenetrable.
MESMERIC

Dec 14, 2004
1:16 PM EDT
Problem with that is the many are strongly yankeephiles (as in they believe the Yankee Group of course)

Ireland, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy all ready to sell their souls to US mega-corps. UK is very hypocritical and loves U-turning on open source projects.

The countries that are strongly opposed are France, Germany, Spain and now Poland. But the pro-Patent Dutch are trying to bully Poland in voting for the adoption of Patents. Something to do with - if Poland votes against - then legislation fails.

And the desperate pro-Patent lobby will have to try again next year (and then thereafter) until the hope they will win by exhaustion.

I am not too knowledgeable about EU law and constitution but that is as far as I understood.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!