So much for IBM, HP

Story: EU to throw patents in with the bath waterTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
mvermeer

Dec 19, 2004
4:26 AM EDT
Is there ANY corporation out there that can be trusted? Can they blame the community for counting their fingers after shaking hands with them? Growl.
MESMERIC

Dec 19, 2004
5:05 PM EDT
Corporations can't be trusted. But people can. It is a person that runs that. Find that person - talk with that person - reason with that person. If all fails - drown that person in their own bath :)
phsolide

Dec 20, 2004
8:29 AM EDT
But the reason that corporations cannot be trusted is that the corporation as legal entity gives the actual people that run it some protection from consequences of their actions and some anonymity.

Union Carbide gassed Bhopal, India, right? Not the guys that under-spec'ed the plant on purpose.

RJ Reynolds and Phillip Morris and Leggett sell highly-addictive and known-carcinogenic tobacco products, right? Not the CEO, Board of Directors, and various upper-level executives who have known about the addictive nature of tobacco for a long time, and the carcinogenic nature of tobacco for only somewhat less time (since the 40s, maybe?).

The corporate life-form must be expunged! Corporations delenda est!
MESMERIC

Dec 20, 2004
6:53 PM EDT
It all boils down to one thing: consciousness. Some board members have less - others have none.

How many of us would actually work for a tobacco industry? When money is in question - many are ready to gag their own consciousness.

The "wrong" can be hidden under many layers and guises.

Consider then the pharmaceutical companies ... Are they that squeaky clean? They fake their own research They have no qualms in making money out of death http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/D/dying_for_drugs/...

I understand what you mean by saying - how handy a "corporate entinty" can be in cushioning blame of those truly accountable.

At least I, couldn't live with myself - being part or representing any organization that is responsble for doing more damage than good.

Unless my purpose was to see it collapsing from the inside .. ah that is different :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!