I agree with Paul? Shudders.

Story: The "Constant fiddling with Linux" mythTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
dinotrac

Jan 03, 2005
6:43 PM EDT
Well, I don't agree completely...

But mostly.

My linux boxes have been mostly troublefree and reliable -- thought not so much as my FreeBSD box, which is the very definition of set and forget.

I still have annoyances -- I've got a couple of cheapie systems using onboard S3 Savage video, that I can't seem to get DRI for (though the latest x.org looks promising).

My Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card works beautifully except for the stupid Versa-Jack, which I can't figure out how to use under Linux.

Also - my latest hobby (and the one that led me to order the parts for an Athlon 64 system last week) -- digital video -- is a little dicy on linux land, though I am starting to get into something that might be called a comfort zone with Cinelerra.

Printing still seems to drive my wife nuts, though I never have any trouble.

Some web sites remain brain-dead and refuse to work decently with any browser that doesn't scream "Hack me, Hurt me".

Sync software for the palm doesn't seem to like the long memos in recent models.

And so on and so forth.

But...

The bottom line is that our boxes stay up 24 hours a day, day-in and day out and going months between reboots long ceased to be noteworthy.

Given that I am an inveterate tinkerer and have several items on a very "up-to-date" basis, that is a breathtaking achievement that I seriously doubt can be touched by any Windows box that has to deal with pain-in-the-butt user like me.

Dinotrac

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!