How can they do this prediction stuff!

Story: Linux predictions for 2005Total Replies: 2
Author Content
PaulFerris

Jan 05, 2005
9:31 AM EDT
I mean, just who the heck do they think they are :)

--FeriCyde
phsolide

Jan 05, 2005
10:34 AM EDT
This particular reporter can do it because he apparently had a deadline to meet, and an editor who would allow the most obvious and shallow predictions to make it into print.

I personally predict that during the next year, more and more "Linux vs MSFT" articles will appear in the mainstream media, with journalistic "balance" requiring that the most absurd persiflage will appear to back the MSFT "side" of the story.
SFN

Jan 05, 2005
11:06 AM EDT
Perhaps rather than predict, people should be talking about what they are actually seeing happen in regards to attitudes towards Linux. Here's something I'm finding interesting.

In the past couple of weeks, I've had four different people (two of which are CFO's at their companies) ask about Linux. They weren't asking what I thought of Linux as an OS. They wanted to know what I thought of investment opportunities with Linux-based companies. The two CFOs got interested based on recommendations from their broker (same guy for both) who recommended Red Hat and/or Novell as nice options for this year.

Of course, what is probably causing those recommendations is the sort of crystal ball gazing we find in this article. So maybe this prediction stuff has a payoff.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!