exotic file manipulations

Story: RANT_MODE=1: Current generation shells -- Will Microsoft Ever Fill The Needs of the Enterprise?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
rsevenic

Jan 06, 2005
6:46 AM EDT
I haven't seen details of the MS 'shell' (monad?). The phrase 'exotic file manipulations with objects' would worry me. Are the files human readable? One of the great advantages of ASCII in all of its clumsiness is that is readable. So if I'm stringing lots of tools together in a new script to get something done, there is, in essence, a readable debug log at each step of the process.

Regards, Richard
dinotrac

Jan 06, 2005
9:11 AM EDT
Human readable? Microsoft? Please.

That said, human readable is sometimes over-rated. Nice when you can afford, Not so nice when you can't.

For example -- at least given the state of hardware for the foreseeable future...can you imagine a viable human readable format for uncompressed full motion video. Shudders.
PaulFerris

Jan 06, 2005
10:24 AM EDT
Especially if it's footage of the 'Trac'd one -- or worse, me.

Of course, when we're hacking away at a keyboard, all of that middle-aged-guy stuff is overshadowed by the powerful aphrodisiac effect that programming has upon women...

--FeriCyde

PS: You're supposed to laugh now if you haven't...
dinotrac

Jan 06, 2005
11:44 AM EDT
>Of course, when we're hacking away at a keyboard, all of that middle-aged-guy stuff is overshadowed by the powerful aphrodisiac effect that programming has upon women...

Oh year, it's a terrible responsibility to deal with that. It's why all those sports stars are jealous of hackers.

I think it was just the other day that Peyton Manning told interviewers how much he wishes he had learned to program so that he could get all the hot chicks.

Dinotrac

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!