Fascinating idea, though I remain skeptical

Story: Linux: Tuning The Kernel With A Genetic AlgorithmTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
chris

Jan 07, 2005
9:47 PM EDT
GA's tend to use a lot of CPU to evaluate the current population, and to rank them appropriately. In order to test different individuals in the population, it must actually try them out and measure how well it actually did. During this early discovery phase, that means it's going to choose many bad scheduling plans prior to discovering one that works better.

One of the hardest things to do is write a good fitness test. How would the kernel measure the scheduler's fitness? Avg latency? Throughput? Shouldn't the user have some say on the types of variables that are measured, what s/he finds important? (IF the test is moved into user space, then the test could be customized, but it seems like it'd be expensive.)

Except for machines that have pretty regular use-patterns, (like dedicated machines for single tasks) and the GA's current optimal solution will remain valid for a long time, I could see more effort spent in search of optimizing than is saved. Especially if the optimal solution continues to change, as the machine's usage changes.

If it can quickly converge on a good solution, then this might not be a problem. For machines requiring low latency and fairly deterministic behavior, this could also be bad as the various scheduling plans could cause it to behave erratically for small periods of time.

The dilemma is that I wouldn't use such a task on a production box where timing is important (which is the type of work I generally do), and would only use such a scheduler for a desktop machine, where erratic behavior has minimal consequence. However, the desktop machine is one where usage changes occur frequently, and so no solution will remain valid for long. (Thus the GA will spend a lot of time optimizing and always playing catch-up.)

But still, it sounds fascinating, and if it completes very quickly and doesn't negatively affect performance in real-world situations, it might be worth taking a look (after a lot of testing.)

-- Chris

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!