Useful a few years ago, maybe

Story: Use Your Digital Camera with LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
dave

Jan 08, 2005
6:03 AM EDT
I used to mess around with gphoto and related software, and then I finally saw the light and bought this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AKVHF/qid...

Now I just mount my media at /media/ and copy the files off. MUCH easier. I'll never connect a camera directly to my computer again.

Dave
cjcox

Jan 08, 2005
3:13 PM EDT
Yep... but when I'm traveling, I just plug my laptop straight into my Olympus. You're right though.. at home, I don't want to put the batteries into my camera, easier just to plug into the multi-card reader.

My new laptop apparently will have a 7-in-1 reader built-in.
AnonymousCoward

Jan 08, 2005
3:34 PM EDT
To misquote The Mikado: I've got a little script.

The camera clocks on in PTP mode, hotplug wakes up and the script pulls the images from the camera, writes out filenames like dscYYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_N.jpg and indexes them. Since I error-check, I could also clear the camera, but don't - as a safety feature.

I haven't bothered indexing the video clips yet, but I could (forex: mplayer -vo jpeg -so none -frames 1).

Another possible curlicule is to find out who's running the graphic display - or failing that, logged in on a console - and drop the pictures into a directory in their home tree rather than a common repository.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!