Enterprise Data?!?!

Story: RANT_MODE=1: Current generation shells -- Will Microsoft Ever Fill The Needs of the Enterprise?Total Replies: 13
Author Content
SeanConnery315

Jan 12, 2005
8:11 PM EDT
If it isn't my arch-nemesis, FeriCyde. Your perspective on the usability of these solutions was always comical to people such as myself. But I will play your silly games...

> "data comes in a multitude of formats and you have to figure some way to clean it up to get to the core aspects that are hidden in there somewhere."

To engage in a serious conversation for just a moment here, enterprise data manipulation belongs in some type of a "data bus" of sorts. Most companies use various combinations of java application servers and message delivery protocols to accomplish this (WebSphere, Tibco, WebLogic, MQ, WebMethods, etc.) for their largest deployments, but why not for the smaller jobs too? It's overkill? It requires too much specialized development efforts? I say that these companies need to wake up, settle on an enterprise technology roadmap, and start moving. The concept of enterprise architecture is something that is in a deep slumber in most large companies in America (and overseas as well). If a reasonable direction is decided AND acted upon, we don't have to worry about some odd logfile adapter becoming obsolete with the next OS upgrade - it is already in an active development/maintenance cycle. If more companies would adhere to long-term strategies and industry best practices, us sysadmin's wouldn't have to worry so much about making a shell script that will outlive us.

Anyway, enough of my rants. I'm always behind the curve anyway - I'm writing about an article that was posted like a week ago and is already outdated. My bad!

-Tool

PaulFerris

Jan 13, 2005
3:26 AM EDT
Tool!

Listen man, you're always trying to abstract things to the next higher level, it's part of the deployment of your ego (This guy, for those of you reading and wondering why I'm in instant "mock-insult-mode", are friends).

Good points, though, what you're saying here. I wasn't speaking of data in the same sense that you are though -- you're thinking of enterprise data as manipulated by really mondo-cool (and expensive) distributed applications (a worthy effort for tools such as yourself).

But more "how the hell do I manage a jillion servers with God-knows-what problem today".

Those things are childs play for Linux. They were somewhat more painful ,but again, achievable due to vendor-specific tools -- not of the kind _you_ are, mind you -- things like openview and Tivoli. You get the drift. Oh, and I'm talking deployed the way they should be deployed...

Anyway, good point. Don't you have a toolmat to lie on or something, though?

PS: Welcome to LXer! --FeriCyde

SeanConnery315

Jan 13, 2005
7:14 AM EDT
And the circle(jerk?) continues :-)

Yah, slacker. I know what you're getting at. I'm just bitter that we are always thinking so small when we do our little grunt work and don't consider that maybe this neato script to enforce configuration management (cfengine http://sourceforge.net/projects/cfengine/ anyone?), could be useful in other areas from a high level. But somebody else on another team has to dream it up since they don't know about it. As you know, I'm all about competence, proficiency, efficiency, and synergy. Things Ferris know nothing about, bwahahaha!!!

Anyway, it's good to be with the lowest percentage of intellectual capital here with FerriCycle!

-Tool
PaulFerris

Jan 13, 2005
7:26 AM EDT
Listen Tool -- "our little grunt work"?!?!? That's what classification you put my efforts into?

You're lucky I don't write a shell script to replace you:

#!/bin/ksh # Script to replace the tool case $(echo ${RANDOM} |cut -c2-2) in [1]) echo I'm all about that! ;; [234]) echo You're such a tool!;; [56]) echo Don't be hatin!;; [78]) echo I'm going to beat you!;; [90]) echo No! You're the tool!;; esac

Actually, I just ran this, and it was so life-like (dare I say, Tool-like) that I halucinated a thin guy in a suit walking by.

Now that's efficient use of code!

--FeriCyde (note the lack of two 'r's, ok?)
SeanConnery315

Jan 13, 2005
7:45 AM EDT
Listen, Ferris. Contrary to your understanding of the English language, "our" is the possessive form of "we". That same "we" that "us" is the objective form of, which was the context I was presuming above. Now that I have established minimal insult to your (our?) grunt work efforts, let me next rip on your shell script. While I'm all for it, it isn't very portable. Solaris 8: ./tool.sh[3]: syntax error at line 8 : `'' unmatched

But you're still the greatest in my book!

-Tool (note the intentional misspelling above - F e r r i C y c l e)
PaulFerris

Jan 13, 2005
7:55 AM EDT
oh, the post missed the backslashes.

You have to escape the ticks ...
SeanConnery315

Jan 13, 2005
9:03 AM EDT
Yah, I noticed that after I got back from lunch and actually sat down to take a look at it. Very clever, FerriCylinder!

-Tool
cuzic4n

Jan 13, 2005
6:11 PM EDT
amazing to see 2 n00bs chasing each others tails.. :P

p.s. this site don't work with opera... :(

PaulFerris

Jan 14, 2005
3:23 AM EDT
cuz, Probably doesn't work with Jazz, improv comedy and country music -- but I still like the layout (PS: Dave -- opera?!?! wtf kind of formatting could you possibly be doing to throw Opera off?)

Welcome to LXer chico :)
peragrin

Jan 14, 2005
4:48 AM EDT
Not sure why the site doesn't work,but a quick check of http://validator.w3.org only shows minor typo's for the front page. There wasn't much of tags in the wrong spot.

At least it's closer than Slashdot is.
dave

Jan 14, 2005
6:39 AM EDT
Some of the errors were real, and I fixed them.

The remaining ones are errors in the story postings, which I'm not really interested in fixed.

And what's up with the body tag being disallowed? So picky...

Dave
cuzic4n

Jan 17, 2005
4:06 AM EDT
that is what i call service..!!@#$ i take back everything i said about you paul.. but i stand firm on everything i said about "the tool".. ;->
SeanConnery315

Jan 17, 2005
10:55 AM EDT
At first I was almost nearly insulted, but then I looked through the history and noticed that you really didn't say anything specifically about me. So, no offense taken (which I am sure will annoy you to no end, so much so that you will post some lame response criticizing my lack of perceptive analytical abilities or something like that; but I am still not caring). So shuck it, Trebek. Shuck it long and hard!

-Tool

peragrin

Jan 17, 2005
11:09 AM EDT
Dave, I don't know what the w3c tags are picky about.

I just know they exist. As I said they were all minor anyway.

Also note my personal home page breaks a few rules it'self. Okay maybe more than a few but it does work.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/degarmoind/Peragrin

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!