OG strikes again

Story: Linux Kernel To Be Re-WrittenTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
incinerator

Jan 14, 2005
2:42 PM EDT
Well, I must say this is a bloody well done piece of FUD. The core of the message of course is a good one: OSDL wants to get rid of "bad code" in the Linux kernel. But wait a second, since when does the kernel contain bad code? Have I missed some important news lately? Linux kernel infringing n patents from MS? That totally comes out of the blue sky for me. Why does OG know all that stuff then?

The sole purpose of this article is to make people feel FUD about Linux. "Well, I'd like to install Linux on my computer but it's to risky. Companies like MS and SCO may sue me for doing so." That is so lol, I would wonder how many patents MS Windows does infringe, I'd daresay n >> 0 indeed. Haven't there been lawsuits about this already? Why does OG not write about these, then? After all, MS Windows is used by many more people. If I know Windows infringed patents wouldn't I put myself into danger of legal action taken against me?

A wee example here: lame is a free mp3 encoding software. The mp3 audio compression format is encumbered by patents. So far, nobody has managed to shut down the lame project. That is strange, isn't it ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!