Why Sun doesn't Understand

Story: Sun License to Give Developers Patent-Use RightsTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
peragrin

Jan 19, 2005
6:01 PM EDT
>>One of the sources close to Sun told eWEEK, "Frankly, I was stunned by Linus' comments bashing Solaris. [It] seemed a tad religious to me, when I thought we were all pushing open source.

Umm Linus Torvlads is pushing Linux, not Open Source. If linus was pushing open source he wouldn't be using bit keeper.

Sun really doesn't have a complete clue do they?

Of course the days just get more interesting. I wonder how this is going to play out in 10 years. Currently the 'big companies' are donating patents to Open source,I am wondering what will happen next. A loose coliation of 'big companies' to take a Bite out of MSFT. Drop MSFT down to the 40-50% range while we wait for Longtooth. Slice and dice the overall market up into sections with each dominating a group? SGI doing massive clusters desgined for rendering, IBM on mainframes and processors, Sun mid range servers, Novell, and Apple knocking each other on the desktop?Each just a piece of the pie.
AnonymousCoward

Jan 19, 2005
11:54 PM EDT
Sounds like something Bill might wake up screaming from.
PaulFerris

Jan 20, 2005
1:36 AM EDT
peragrin, Yes, that's a decent scenario -- one that's not far from where things are today. As much as Bill wants to do things that are non-desktop, the company simply doesn't really "get" enterprise-class data and application operations (my specialty at the moment), and they certainly aren't the types to cater to the scientific community.

Too much work for too little of a price point, I think they see it. And I also suspect that they think they are impervious on the desktop. Let's hope their overconfidence takes things into the territory you propose above :)

--FeriCyde
devnet

Jan 20, 2005
4:27 AM EDT
You've got to wonder what sun is up to anyways....

How moronic is it to open source Solaris without a community to support it? That's the real problem they've got on their hands IMHO.

PaulFerris

Jan 20, 2005
4:50 AM EDT
devnet: Don't worry, that community and all of the on-line relationships that will be just as strong as what Linux has right today will just magically materialize overnight.

Right along side of Microsofts' improved security initiatives :) --FeriCyde
devnet

Jan 20, 2005
7:08 AM EDT
Paul,

LOL. Can't wait for that to happen. I'll start holding my breath :p
Koriel

Jan 20, 2005
7:30 AM EDT
SUN is shinin' in the sky There ain't a cloud in sight It's stopped rainin' everybody's in a play And don't you know It's a beautiful new day hey,hey

ELO, Mr Blue Sky

Oooooh 0000h 0000h i wanna join the Sun Community!
cjcox

Jan 20, 2005
11:20 AM EDT
Sun will pay to put the community together. They are already working on the OpenSolaris conference!

Even so, it might not work though. But there's a lot of greedy people in the US.
cjcox

Jan 20, 2005
12:15 PM EDT
1. Tell all GNU/Linux users they suck.

2. Tell them they are all lusers.

3. Tell them that GNU/Linux is a child's toy written by people without knowledge.

4. Tell the world that open source is dangerous.

5. Ask the GNU/Linux developer's to join the OpenSolaris community.

Can these guys plan or can these guys plan!

You know.. maybe they won't even be able to pay for folks to join. I spoke presumptuously.
devnet

Jan 20, 2005
12:26 PM EDT
>But there's a lot of greedy people in the US.

There's a lot of greedy people no matter where you go. Generalizations suck.

>5. Ask the GNU/Linux developer's to join the OpenSolaris community.

Don't forget that they'll ask us to register so they can collect data on us via cookies and actions performed while on the solaris site if we join!
PaulFerris

Jan 20, 2005
2:37 PM EDT
cjcox: But in a lot of ways it's kind of hillarious :) I mean, it's like they're going to undo the experience you have with linux with a bunch of taunting...

Try as they will, no amount of marketing outdoes experience -- it might scare away the people who are stupid and don't want to try Linux, but I'd argue very heavily on the side of experience -- those that have tried Linux already (in vast numbers) are in the majority of Unix users. It'd be a different story (maybe, just maybe) if this had happened say 5 years ago when Linux drew stares from Unix people of "What the heck is that?!?!".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!