Brits and Open Source.

Story: British public bodies unsure on open sourceTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
salparadise

Jan 26, 2005
10:19 PM EDT
I can only speak based on a little experience. But the attitude in the UK to Open Source is enough to make me want to scream at times. People moan constantly about Windows. Up to the point where you mention an alternative when this weird contrariness kicks in and you can see the stubbornness behind their eyes. They WILL NOT learn anything new. They WILL NOT consider anything new. They would rather have to reinstall Windows every few weeks than change. They would rather carry on stealing software and pretending it's OK cus "they all earn billlions do these software companies". Most people think that Microsoft produces everything that runs on WIndows. If you provide them with new pc's preloaded with Linux and offer them some free training they moan about Open Office, they moan about no drive letters, they moan about new program names, they panic at the first sight of the command line, they designate it all as geek land "not for me thankyou" they resist picking the skills up at every turn. Then they go off and carry on moaning about Windows. Aarrrrggh!

Conclusion: Brits LOVE to moan. And would rather carry on moaning (sounds like a film title) than find a new solution. "If you take all the problems away we'll have to work ALL day without excuse."

There is a scary celebration of stupidity, corner cutting and idiocy around. Skills are mocked not celebrated. Knowledge is jeered at. People who work are sneered at and those who doss about at every opportunity are considered "one of the boys".

Perhaps I've had some bad experiences...

Perhaps Microsoft's new stated policy on piracy will force people to consider changing when they realise all that software their /mate/brother/friend installed is now going to cost them a few hundred quid to license.

Koriel

Jan 27, 2005
5:12 AM EDT
Sal, its not just you thats had these experiences, i'm kinda tech support for my friends and family so i constantly put up with this moaning and its now gotten to the stage that i insist that they use the programs i designate if the choose to run Windows ie i specify Openoffice instead of MS Office, Thunderbird instead of Outlook, Firefox instead of IE, Foxit instead of Acrobat, Quintissential instead of MS media player ad nauseum.... They dont have to be opensource replacements just less resource hungry, secure, efficient and more flexible than their counterparts.

Now i'm not stopping them using their program of choice its just if they do i cease supporting them and no longer do i have to put up with their moaning or their viruses. All of them have accepted this and actually opted for my way and the virus problems are now next to non existent although i still get the odd bit of spyware to contend with. If they don't want to learn something new, well thats their problem and they certainly wont get my free support its not like im forcing them to use Linux just showing them a better way of doing things in windows.

Brits do love to moan and i do it myself, i consider it a human right :) Acrobat is bloatware and i really cant stand the thing

The added plus is that being Scottish, im a far superior moaner than your average run of the mill Brit :)

And oh yes in my opinion the UKrap Goverment with such likes Toady Bliar are in the pockets of Bilge Gate's and crew so dont expect Open Source to get a major foothold in State run enterprises unless some major sea change occurs at the top.

Damn im getting good at this moaning :)
Tsela

Jan 27, 2005
5:38 AM EDT
And then I thought complaining was the *French* national sports (although after living for four years in the Netherlands I'd say they aren't too bad either ;) )...

Well, if the Brits want to join the fun, maybe we can organise a European championship of moaning! ;)
Koriel

Jan 27, 2005
5:51 AM EDT
European, Euro(bl**dy)pean don't get me started on those lilly livered liberal human rights for all people!

See you would lose up against us scots :)
MESMERIC

Jan 27, 2005
6:02 PM EDT
This country is dead. * A stupid queen that knights Bill Gates. * A health service that is riddled with poor practices - and scandals: I won't post the links its too huge and depressing. * A failing educational system. * And a grinning clown of a Prime Minister without any wisdom or substance

Of course they woudn't go the Open Source way - why should they? That would be complying with conventional wisdom - not a British thing since long.

My father fought in the war, my uncle died in battle for this? You can't even feel proud of your heritage.

Man, in this country kids assault old ladies and war veterans - did you know that? Don't ever look up to England - or believe its a oh-so-cultural country its a facade enforced by chick-flicks starring Hugh Grant most are extremely ignorant : short of being Neanderthals.

I can't wait for my first oportunity to leave this cursed island for good.
salparadise

Jan 27, 2005
9:57 PM EDT
eek!

Man, you need to lighten up.

It really isn't that bad. In the states they carry guns and have George Bush as president and no health care to speak of. There's worse places to be.

And as for that wretched excuse for a prime minister we have. Stay and vote the bastard out.

If every stout hearted English man turns tail and runs then "they" end up winning.
dave

Jan 28, 2005
5:19 AM EDT
Don't forget that our policy here is to not have political discussions. Let's not turn into Slashdot.

Half our members here would be offended by the other half, therefore let's just leave it at Linux and be happy.

Quoting:Discussion and debate of a political or religious nature is not allowed on the site.

PaulFerris

Jan 28, 2005
11:38 AM EDT
Dave, does this mean that I can't talk with Dino about emacs vs vi?

(tongue in cheek -- I know the answer ;)

--Paul
dave

Jan 28, 2005
3:11 PM EDT
That's no problem at all, since I know that vi is the best. ;)

Dave
cjcox

Jan 28, 2005
3:19 PM EDT
Vi... the best?? Uhh..err... oh yeah... that's right!

nevermind

Now if only Bill Joy felt the same.

PaulFerris

Jan 28, 2005
5:22 PM EDT
dave, while I share your sentiments about vi in particular, I urge you not to take sides in religious issues ... geeze, let a guy win a few paintball contests and it goes to his head!
MESMERIC

Jan 28, 2005
8:24 PM EDT
@sal

and i did vote but his grinning tactics charmed all the middle-aged ladies

i need to immigrate to a country fast if not i will just colonize Mars.

i dont want to displease david so i will reserve my stronger comments only for slashdot but things like that makes me v v angry : dirty politics

so many doctors would benefit from GPL and Linux they tell me - its a pain having to work with something so unstable that keeps crashing n-times a day. And the IT costs involved ?? .. say no more.

PS: At least American girls are nicer / friendlier and prettier :)
Koriel

Jan 28, 2005
11:56 PM EDT
I know about the american girls, i married one :)

But it was my lovely accent that swung it!!!

And i think she really liked my big..........Linux installation!
PaulFerris

Jan 29, 2005
4:27 AM EDT
Koriel, Yeah, those Unix/Linux commands drive the women crazy!
MESMERIC

Jan 30, 2005
3:11 AM EDT
Koriel you shouldn't try and install Linux with floppy disks it will take you for ages.

If you want something quick & tiny try Damn Small Linux.

robT

Jan 30, 2005
8:57 AM EDT
Speaking of slashdot, one of the more annoying occurrences is some of the tangents the discussions pursue. Someone, say, will ask a question that I find interesting but the first post will start a dominating discussion about some trivial bs and the original question never gets answered. Although come to think, I've actually seen that happen at business meetings and conferences too.

Perhaps it ties in to one of the more interesting articles I've read, that being the one that discussed research showing stupider people tend to be over confident because they're too dumb to recognize their own shortcomings.

But the real question is "Why does standardout.com record all times in UTC, but LXer.com records times in MST?" And, "Is it always MST even when daylight savings returns?"

See how easy it is, I just changed my own discussion.
dave

Jan 30, 2005
11:53 AM EDT
The timezones are custom configurable for you - if you are in MST then you must have set that yourself in your preferences. Mine says "CST", for example, since I'm in Texas. In April it'll automatically change to CDT.

The default, I think, is UTC and you'd have to change it yourself. See your member page for the place to change this.

Dave

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!