This glosses over the intiial 15000 Linux users

Story: What to make of IBM's silence about its desktop Linux policy?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Jan 27, 2005
3:07 PM EDT
That's significant news in its own right. I would bet we're hitting political resistance between factions within IBM now.
mvermeer

Jan 28, 2005
6:58 AM EDT
I wouldn't be surprised if money changed hands in the writing of this article... look at all that M$ advertising plastered all over it.

Anyway, it isn't usually a good idea to switch platforms just for the heck of it, dog food or no. If you have software to run on Windows, keep Windows boxes around, until you find -- or build -- an acceptable alternative. Cold turkey migration is rarely wise. That being said, I suspect that Redmond, just like earlier with Munich, is trying hard to make the most out of this.

Let them have the fun while it lasts.
SFN

Jan 28, 2005
8:59 AM EDT
"A while back, chairman and CEO Sam Palmisano challenged the company to move its desktops to Linux by the end of 2005. What's clear is that this hasn't happened and doesn't look like happening."

Isn't January 27 a little early to call this?

I mean, yeah, something is wrong at IBM in terms of their migration but this strikes as a odd bit of prognostication.
PaulFerris

Jan 28, 2005
11:46 AM EDT
SFN: Yeah, I find all of this to be pointless. IBM may take years to do the migration -- who's to say. It's happening all around anyway. I remember people whining about how IE "won" the browser war.

Is the browser war "won" -- isn't it an on-going "battle"?!?

The whole idea of permanence as an IT concept is a moot point. Stuff is never fixed in stone as the whole FireFox thing illustrates. IBMs desktop migration has hit a snag. Big deal. They're still on the Linux side and will be for years to come.

I also know enough about corporate sourcing to say that likely the public announcement was timed -- if they were attempting to negotiate (or a major customer of theirs was doing the same) their pricing with Microsoft at the time, it might have been done to lower some pricing :-)

Guess we'll never know.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!