Wow! The BEST operating system!

Story: Sun's Open-Source SolarisTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
PaulFerris

Jan 29, 2005
4:18 AM EDT
I can't wait to use it!

Wait, I've already used Sol 10 in limited quantities.

Scott -- listen very closely -- maybe after a few years of "innovative improvement" by the currently fledgling (some might even use the words "non-existent" here) Solaris "community", you'll have something on par with Linux.

That would be a good thing (tm), by the way. You're going to need a diplomat like Torvalds running it to really be effective.

Let's suppose all of this materializes, and things start happening.

Maybe then I'll forgive you for all of the lame things you've said about Linux along the way ;)

Good luck! --FeriCyde
devnet

Feb 01, 2005
4:58 AM EDT
I use Solaris 9.0 to do my laundry...I hope that it still will with 10 :P
peragrin

Feb 01, 2005
5:15 AM EDT
Devnet I really hope ifwe ever meet I am upwind? Using Slowaris for laundry? ewww.

Open Solaris lacks -- broad hardware support, lot's of everyday software, and a community of people.

Linux lacks -- refinement(sorry but the edges need polishing)

Why Open Solaris won't pose much of a threat for a while. it's simple really. The features Sun touts the loudest ZFS, and Dtrace aren't used by everybody, in fact DTrace would only be used b developers. ZFS is only useful for servers with large databases.

So Open Solaris will only stem the tide of Sun Servers being converted to Linux. It might even grow a bit, but don't expect a massive takeover.
PaulFerris

Feb 01, 2005
5:18 AM EDT
Not the toilet? I thought it had an optimized flush(); system call...
devnet

Feb 01, 2005
6:28 AM EDT
Paul,

I think the flush() system call is right, but you have to pipe the output :) ewww...
tuxchick

Feb 01, 2005
8:22 AM EDT
Peragrin, ZFS is the one truly kewl thing about the New More Kewler Solaris. If it ever actually ships with ZFS. It puts filesystems in userspace, which opens up all kinds of possibilities for user management, volume management, virtual hosting, and it does away with disk partitions. and other stuff which this blog entry explains better than I can:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/comments/ahrens/Weblog/what_is_z...

Not that I'm going to dash out and get Solaris 10 just to get ZFS. :P Doing anything with Sun feels like one of those deals where your mom says later "But you knew he was crazy when you started dating him."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!