Email got bounced back

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Feb 01, 2005
8:06 AM EDT
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- dave@whitinger.net (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error) (expanded from: )

----- Transcript of session follows ----- 553 5.3.5 aoeu.standardout.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?) 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error

Is this real? Or should I just resend?
dave

Feb 01, 2005
10:09 AM EDT
My mail server in Tennessee is down, thanks to handy work with a backhoe by the county workers. Sigh. I'm working on transferring MX services to the LXer server.

Dave
tuxchick

Feb 01, 2005
10:30 AM EDT
Dave, let me guess- the backhoe operator severed the cable right at the "Call before digging here" sign.
peragrin

Feb 01, 2005
11:46 AM EDT
No Tuxchick that's not how it works.

First you call for your inspections, and they mark out where all their pipes are. Next you figure out were you want to dig, and fire up the backhoe. Then as your digging across and you break that line, that the previous crew only buried 1 foot instead of 3 because of the bedrock at 2 feet, you can laugh and enjoy the world.

Just don't trust the grounding in your building either.
PaulFerris

Feb 01, 2005
1:34 PM EDT
off topic time peragrin: I once worked as a roving systems engineer (Read, high priced, short-interval consultant) and worked at a company that had a bunch of Wire-EDM machines that were contributing to those "grounding" issues something fierce. For those of you who've never seen one, a wire-EDM (electro-magnetic discharge) can eat into a pice of metal in a rather predictable fashion.

It does this with wire and extremely high voltage, and you ground machines that are producing high voltage to the um, ground :)

At the same time, these machines (at the time) are recieving their CAM files via serial cables that are hundreds of feet in length.

And there was the problem -- the serial connections would be intermittent in ways that were extremely baffling. People would drag the controller PCs into the office -- hook them to the sending server via short cable -- all is good. Check the pins on the line -- all is good. Hook the PC up in the shop, and nothing works right -- bunch of noise is all you get. Worse, there was this problem with serial boards getting fried on a whim.

The wire-EDM machines were affecting the relative "ground" :) changing the voltage between the ground out in the shop and the voltage of the ground in the office building. I was told that it was in the 10s of thousands of volts at times (no I didn't see that with my eyes, but it must have been rather low amperage).

They solved it by hooking all of the grounds together with thick cabling and tying that to a series of thick metal stakes in the ground all around the shop. Worked at the time.
peragrin

Feb 01, 2005
2:04 PM EDT
Paul what your really refering to is similiar to cross talk.

Were you can induce voltage in a cable by putting another cable near it. in this case all you need is volts.

want a fun science experiment? Take a standard flourcent tube and find your local high voltage lines. late one night take that tube and hold it up above your head as you get close to those lines. Watch it glow.

The same thing that makes that tube light up, also leads to network problems
PaulFerris

Feb 01, 2005
3:52 PM EDT
peragrin: I tried that flourcent thing, only I didn't even need the high voltage line -- two bottles of Jack, and it was lit solid, from what I remember ... Or was that me... It's all so fuzzy from here.
TxtEdMacs

Feb 02, 2005
6:35 AM EDT
Dave - I hope your email system is now working again. I have encountered another problem just getting to the site. Yesterday, I kept getting connection refused until it suddenly worked.

This morning, it just reverted to the Mozilla/Firefox home page with no messge. On about the fifth try I got to the site, but then I saw the same behaviour trying to look at the comment about Sun. No loading seen really (hour glass lies) and no message afterward. Indeed, I was surprised to get here so easily on one try.

Are you being swamped by new readers or new more rampant bots?
dave

Feb 02, 2005
6:48 AM EDT
Well, the server has increased his load by over 10 times in the past 24 hours. The reason for this is that I manage another website, davesgarden.com. That site was on a different server, and when that server went down I had to transfer the site over to this LXer server.

So, it's now sharing a server with a very busy and active website. I have a new server being installed at managed.com right now, and when it ready I'll move dave's garden over to it and LXer should return to normal levels again.

Dave

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!