How So Billy Boy?

Story: Gates: 'Linux makes interoperability harder'Total Replies: 3
Author Content
Abe

Feb 04, 2005
2:56 PM EDT
Why do you say that? Is it because Free Open Source apps. don't run on Windows? But they do. Open Office, Mozilla/FireFox, Gimp, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Python, Samba, etc., they all run on Windows as good as on Linux.

Or is it because Windows apps don't run on Linux? But they do using Wine, VMWare, DreamWeaver- Make that CrossOver Plugin by CodeWeavers, etc.

Or may be Linux can't talk to Windows servers? But they do using TCP/IP, Samba SMB, etc.

Or may be because Linux can't access Windows drives? But it does using native drivers. You can connect, mount, read, and write on Windows drives without any problems.

Or is it because Linux apps can't read MS file formats? But they can. OO can read Word, Excel, PowerPoint files without any problems.

Or is it because Linux users can't read/write MSSQL Server database? But Perl, Python, and your own ODBC enable Linux to do that.

Or is it because Linux can't connect to your Exchange server? But it can using Evolution.

Or is it because your Windows servers can't communicate to Linux server? But they can using your own Unix tools.

If there is anything I missed, or if for some reason you can't make your Windows inter-operate with Linux, you know that you can change Linux to do what ever you want it. It is Free Open Source and available to everyone including you if you want to play by the rules but not play with the rules.

You see Billy Boy, it takes two to Tango and all you have to do is to follow the leader, Linux. Unless you are intentionally crippling your Windows, you should have no problem and it is not that hard at all. But if you insist, you better be careful because customers will believe that Windows is truly crippled, which many already found out that it is, and will abandon and stay away from your beloved Windows.
AnonymousCoward

Feb 05, 2005
5:54 PM EDT
"DreamWeaver?" Er, that's a web development app. True, it does run under WINE on Linux, but it doesn't make other MS-Windows programs work on Linux.
Abe

Feb 06, 2005
9:27 AM EDT
Blame it on a long working day (Windows problems) or old age. What I meant is "CrossOver Plugin" by CodeWeavers. Thanks, I will correct it.
tuxchick

Feb 06, 2005
9:33 AM EDT
Abe, you made your point, and good one it is. I should know better, but it still amazes me when billg and his ilk spew these bald-faced lies to the world, knowing full well they are not telling the truth.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!