In other news, smoking crack is good for your health.

Story: Microsoft's Security Chief Says Windows Safer Than LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
PaulFerris

Feb 11, 2005
8:30 AM EDT
I mean, who are you going to trust to tell the truth here? Microsoft, or your lying eyes. Every time you have the slightest problem with a Windows box, the first thing you wonder is "has this thing been compromised?". It's almost a given as a matter of fact. These guys have to look comical to most tech-savy people -- at least I'd hope so.
tuxchick

Feb 11, 2005
1:11 PM EDT
Let me be the first to go "bwahahahahahahahahaaaaa"

I hope they look comical to the masses. sheesh, they're making more money than ever- is that the key to success? Shoddy products, ruthless throatcutting competitive tactics, and lying non-stop?
phsolide

Feb 12, 2005
10:17 AM EDT
I get irritated every time I see one of those "poignant" MSFT commercials where they "see a doctor" in some schoolkid, or "see a corporation" when some 25-year-old opens a store in some 1930s corner grocery building.

Yeah, right. Maybe to the masses, Giant Corporations have Their Best Interests At Heart, but if you followed any of the MSFT anti-trust actions, you've got to know better. MSFT doesn't care if you become a doctor, a CEO or a piss-bum, as long as they get your money for Windows XP, a copy of "Office 2003" and 0.05 cents every time you make a monetary transaction over the internet. They've proved that in court testimony several times.

And then we're supposed to believe this "Security Cheif" guy? You've got to be kidding.
PaulFerris

Feb 12, 2005
10:44 AM EDT
They'd be pisses as heck if one of those kids decided to start his or her own operating systems company and compete with them.
AnonymousCoward

Feb 13, 2005
2:21 AM EDT
Paul: BRILLIANT idea! Do it! Do it! Who can we get to play the young Linus Torvalds?
PaulFerris

Feb 13, 2005
4:09 AM EDT
AC: The trick would be to get the above idea to a competitor (like the opera folks) who has cash but recently had ideas squashed by "interoperability" problems. Have them do a parady that's really close, one where the kids are all shown to be computer geniues that in the future have their business wrecked by Microsoft, and end it almost the same way with the same text -- the effect would indeed be devastating.

Microsoft has done so much in the way of damage simply through mind control IMHO. After more or less destroying real competition they have idiots repeating the phrase "Microsoft has been good for the software industry". The comments that Gates made to spiegel magazine about how a software monoculture makes a company *more* secure. The idea that there are a lot of "myths" out there in there -- they're the ones with the mythology. The get the "facts" campaign. The facts all point to migrating off of their monopolistic snafu-laden designs to something controllable with real open (read:unix-like) underpinnnings (Mac and Linux both fall into this category).

It's deliberate -- you take something that's a weakness and you repeat the exact opposite till people start "debating it" -- then it looks like it's a controversy instead of a truth. "Microsoft has problems with security? You hear a lot of debate about that these days."

I'll stop ranting now -- I hope someone makes that commerical. It would not be my idea by the way -- years ago Doonesbury had a cartoon where he placed Bill Gates in a classroom talking to kids, and one of the kids explained that she wanted to own her own software company one day, but her uncle had said that anyone that did that was "Squashed like a bug" by Microsoft -- and she didn't want to be squashed like a bug. She then asked Bill what she was to do with her life.

It's still relevant today, obviously, but today we'd tell her to start working with OSS. At any age, she could get experience with some of the most powerful software in the world at the source code level -- not the spectator level.

Top that Microsoft.
peragrin

Feb 13, 2005
8:33 AM EDT
You guys are a year to late

IBm already has done it to one extent. Remember the Young Linux kid commericals?

Growing changing hey maybe we can send an update to IBM's marketing deptartment.?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!