Whose LUG?

Story: Microsoft: Coming to a Linux User Group near You? (Part One)Total Replies: 16
Author Content
SFN

Feb 14, 2005
5:37 AM EDT
"Say a Linux vendor shows up at your LUG......"

Whether we're talking about a proprietary Linux vendor, Microsoft or anybody else, one question must first be answered: What do you mean by "my" LUG?

If we are talking about a LUG that has a board (for lack of a better word) it would be up to the board. They should discuss it first and come to a consensus. If we are talking about a LUG that is a loose affiliation of members, it should be up to the members. If we are actually talking about "MY" LUG, I would allow everybody but MS. Sounds childish but, in the words of John Kennedy, "it's my ball".

One thing that could be fun would be to allow MS to present and let all the particularly loud-mouthed, assholian LUG members know ahead of time that MS will be there.

Stop reading for a moment, sit back and imagine that.

I'll wait.

Anyway, it's not like there is a fairness issue here. Nobody is ENTITLED to be at a LUG meeting. Who gets in or doesn't is up to those who are in charge of the LUG.
PaulFerris

Feb 14, 2005
5:57 AM EDT
SFN, thanks -- this is just the kind of feedback we're looking for, actually. As to the actual LUG itself, it's a source of mine that I won't divulge. It's real, or I wouldn't have said as much ;)

peragrin

Feb 14, 2005
6:25 AM EDT
I just had a thought.

There are and have been Apple/macintosh User Groups. There are Linux User Groups.

I have never heard of MSFT/Windows user groups.

Anyone know of any?
PaulFerris

Feb 14, 2005
6:28 AM EDT
peragrin: There sure are, I presented at one in 2002 in the Akron area (granted, it was more of a commerical focused lug, but a lot of MS-centric people there).

phsolide

Feb 14, 2005
6:37 AM EDT
Personally, I doubt I'd go to a meeting that featured an MSFT presentation.

First, it would probably have a PowerPoint presentation. In my opinion, Tufte is an optimist when it comes to PowerPoint. If you can't Dazzle the with Brilliance, or Baffle them with Baloney, Bore them to stupidity with PowerPoint.

Second, MSFT has so much money to waste on PR that you'd probably just get some lying, soul-less Wag-Ed demon. They're just trying to infiltrate yet another forum.

Third, what would an MSFT liar I mean PR person have to say that would interest me? I want to dance on their corporate corpse, not put up with the warts on their OS or work around the bugs in their user interface.

I could go on, but profanity-less prose fails me.
mdl

Feb 14, 2005
8:28 AM EDT
Sure, let them come, why not?

But there would have to be conditions:

1. 15 minute presentation, max. No sense letting them go droning on for hours.

2. 30 minute Q & A, min. They need feedback.

3. We would have to set up a stage with one of those "chicken wire" barriers, as seen in Blues Brothers, for the protection from flying objects and the safety of all.
SyntaxError

Feb 14, 2005
9:03 AM EDT
peragrin: Sure there are. The Windows User Groups are kinda unique: you find them loosely organized everywhere in Corporate America/etc. :)
peragrin

Feb 14, 2005
9:09 AM EDT
MDL why chicken wire?

It will interfere with my paintball gun. Of course carring Paintball guns get noticed. So I developed a linux powered automatic, with 350 degree motion left right and 30 degree up down motions. I have a web cam setup on the back hooked into a small low powered scope(just for AIM), The web cam streams to a server for viewing. For controls though are through ssh keyboard commands. Maybe one day i will create an Ncurses interface.

Okay the above doesn't yet exist but there is no reason why not. a mini-itx board running linux for controls. The hard part would be setting up motor controls.
tuxchick

Feb 14, 2005
9:18 AM EDT
How many Linux presenters from your LUG will M$ accept in return?
PaulFerris

Feb 14, 2005
9:29 AM EDT
Well, they did have ESR speak to them a while back (a LONG while back). Maybe turn-about is fair play after all ;)
pat

Feb 14, 2005
9:31 AM EDT
>I have never heard of MSFT/Windows user groups.

>Anyone know of any?

I think most of them disappeared when the only solution to any problem was to reboot.
a_hippie

Feb 14, 2005
10:50 AM EDT
I think it could be interesting to see such a presentation at our LUG. I'd also set time limits on the talk/Q&A. In fact, it doesn't matter what the topic is, you have to set time limits!

Locking them out is silly--if they are real people that are going to demonstrate real technology, it would likely be a good thing to learn about. The Q&A period is the real value though.

Good article. I'll look forward to the second part.

-- Wishing you well.
tuxchick

Feb 14, 2005
11:10 AM EDT
What a bunch of maroons. Here you are discussing this all seriously, and behaving as though Microshaft lackeys were real people. Honest to gosh, with wusses like you populating the F/OSS world it's no wonder the jackbooted thugs at M$ rulez0rz.

I think the original question is mis-stated anyway. I think it should be slightly rephrased:

"Can we get the ducking stool set up in time for the Microsoft presenter?"

Asking the correct question puts it all into the correct perspective.
PaulFerris

Feb 14, 2005
11:25 AM EDT
Tuxxy, I'm surprised at you! Ees Thees More off Dat SarCasem Theeng I Bean Ridding 'Bout?
peragrin

Feb 14, 2005
11:29 AM EDT
>>"Can we get the ducking stool set up in time for the Microsoft presenter?"

Um isn't that Dunking Stool?

Besides paintball guns cause more pain, and they leave marks.

peragrin

Feb 14, 2005
11:30 AM EDT
Microsoft dressed as a penguin.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/peuquinbully.html

You can determine which one is MSFT. Maybe
SFN

Feb 15, 2005
8:42 AM EDT
Tuxchick,

I think I love you.

BUT I WANNNA KNOOOOW FOR SURRRRE

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!