LUG ≠ Commercial

Story: Microsoft: Coming to a Linux User Group near You? (Part One)Total Replies: 0
Author Content
SeanConnery315

Feb 14, 2005
6:33 AM EDT
My two cents is that a Linux User Group should be no different than any other user groups. Most User Group's are user-focused technical sessions designed around addressing (guess what?) the user's issues and concerns! Depending on your vendor/platform/product, sometimes you do get a commercial thrown in the mix. For those, in my not-so-humble opinion, it is a couple hours of wasted time. It's not so much that I don't have an interest in, or that I don't want to know about, a product that could very well be quite useful to me. But if it is some company-sponsored infomercial hyping some newly-released or up-and-coming product, save it for afterward or for the vendorfest at the product conference in Vegas later this year. Obviously there might be consensus that a technology is of interest to the general group, and in that instance, bring on the infomercial guy! But if it is not relevant or of specific significance to the group as a whole, then save it for another day. Heck, hold a special session for interested parties at a different time than the "regular" if you want. It's just the problem of losing focus on what the User's want. Afterall, it is a Linux User's Group!

-Tool

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!