We've had em at NTLUG

Story: Microsoft: Coming to a Linux User Group near You? (Part One)Total Replies: 0
Author Content
cjcox

Feb 14, 2005
7:32 AM EDT
Back when NTLUG met at the Infomart, back in the days of the DFWXchange, we often had Microsoft employees at our meetings. I remember one in particular. I was presenting, and he was sitting in the front row. He had missed my presentation on NT's Bid for Global Domination presentation (he probably wouldn't have liked that one), but anyway, I was discussing (this was before Active Directory) how Microsoft's Active Directory was their attempt at embracing and owning name services (still true IMHO). He got really upset and began to tell the whole group how Microsoft didn't work that way and that they only do things for the benefit of all.. yada... yada.. yada... I tried to tell him that he had been duped and that he really, really needed to take a more objective look at what Microsoft was doing... they almost always have an ulterior motive (of course, most money focused companies do).

On a more contemporary note... while not a Microsoft presentation, we did have the Mono guys out for a presentation. Now, many, many of the folks in Mono are from a Microsoft background, HOWEVER, most are not 0wn3d by Microsoft and actually believe that Mono will probably be forced (by Microsoft) to divorce and become something greater than .Net. They really, really believe that Mono is the future of cross platform distributed computing and NOT .Net. I highly recommend having the Mono folks out to your LUGs when possible. Just don't look at Mono as being .Net for Linux... view as the open source REPLACEMENT for .Net, be it on Windows or *ix.

At the end of the Mono presentation, I gave away a Java SW Development book as a door prize... made my day!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!