How about the questions?

Story: Microsoft: Coming to a Linux User Group near You? (Part One)Total Replies: 1
Author Content
pseudo

Feb 14, 2005
5:12 PM EDT
A few posters have addressed the questions in the article. I found them compelling. So here are my responses to the questions as posted.

1. "In general, how do you react to outsiders that offer to present at your Linux User Group (LUG)?"

With enthusiasm. Our LUG has several members who present regularly, and many others who have presented. We often cast about the group for topics to present but we often have more topics than presenters. A topic without a presenter does not make for a memorable meeting.

2. "What about commercial interests presenting to your LUG?"

Most of our members present without mention of their day jobs. But what about somebody that want to talk about their company?

Okay. It _is_ a Linux topic, right? If it is on topic then a commercial perspective might make a nice change from our typical presentations (typically they lean towards the technical side of the scale). So example topics might be "IBM Presents:Things we've learned deploying Linux on the desktop in our enterprise." That would be great. "IBM Presents: Our new line of heavy iron." Hmm, not really focused enough, but we would ask enough Linux implementation questions to get value from it.

3. "What would you do if a Microsoft employee showed up at your LUG?"

Show up? Like, "sit politely and listen?" How would we even know? At that point , they are just another new attendee. I hope they would feel as welcomed as any other new attendee.

4. "If you allowed a Microsoft employee to present, just what kind of topics would you allow?

It would have to be on topic. "How to build and package software created with proprietary tools so that they may be licensed with the GPL" or "client configuration tips and tricks to keep users happy on samba" would both be worth hearing. "How to 'get the facts,'" or "why you should drop Linux and use our stuff" would not be welcome.
PaulFerris

Feb 14, 2005
6:02 PM EDT
psuedo: Thanks for answering the questions!

This is exactly the kind of feedback needed.

--FeriCyde

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!