I put up a Wikipedia article about LXer

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
BWF89

Feb 15, 2005
4:23 PM EDT
Incase you didn't know on Wikipedia.org anyone can edit any of the pages.

So let's get to work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXer
professor

Feb 17, 2005
3:27 PM EDT
I've added more to it... Though it's still not complete. Feel free to correct me.
BWF89

Feb 17, 2005
3:50 PM EDT
Cool.
PaulFerris

Feb 17, 2005
4:30 PM EDT
I added a bit.

I think the words "news you can trust" should be put in there, for some strange reason...
dinotrac

Feb 19, 2005
1:08 PM EDT
I added a bit more.

I'm having second thoughts, though.

Do you think that it was a little harsh to say that,

"The site is excellent, but is in constant danger of being eaten to death by roly-paulie little ferrisites?"
PaulFerris

Feb 19, 2005
3:33 PM EDT
dino: Yes, that's crossing the line. Good thing I could edit that page -- I added "may get flattened by the sarcastic wit of the 'Trac'd one.

I like your comments -- especially the part about checking back in an hour :-)

mvermeer

Feb 20, 2005
10:46 AM EDT
We're treading a thin line here. Wikipedia isn't for advertising... and LXer is a .com site after all.

Let's be careful.
dave

Feb 20, 2005
11:27 AM EDT
I neither approve nor disapprove the Wikipedia article (although, I admit it's fun to the see the site discussed on such a prestigious site).

As for the commercial aspect, however, apparantly they have no problem with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsForge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSDN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic.com

best, dave
dinotrac

Feb 20, 2005
12:17 PM EDT
Mr. Vermeer --

First...

Howyadoin?

Second...

Your use of the term "commercial" is, I think, inappropriate.

Commercials are bought-and-paid-for sales pitches delivering information biased by its purpose.

Some of the stuff I put in might be considered a testimonial, but, more to the point, how do you properly describe lxer? You and I both know that it ain't in the features, it's in the glue that binds them together.

mvermeer

Feb 26, 2005
1:55 PM EDT
Dino -- "commercial" as in "for profit"?

When I said "let's be careful", I meant just that. I know it's not forbidden to describe commercial entities on wikipedia, as long as it's done in the a proper fashion (and there's plenty of stuff on the site itself on what that means). I am also not claiming that that would not be the case for the stuff that is there now. What I do see is a text that is not quite objective -- whatever that is -- in its presentation of LXer, being clearly written by enthusiastic regulars (heck, I could have written it!). And LXer being a commercially operated site, this easily creates a suspicion, unjustified as it is, that there is something fishy going on. Perhaps it should not work this way, but believe me it does.

That's why I say: Let's be (more than ordinarily) careful to avoid this.
hkwint

Mar 13, 2005
10:01 AM EDT
Hi,

Some time ago now, but two remarks:

I strongly agree with mr. Vermeer; the 4rd and 5th paragraph are not objective (change them maybe?). The rest is well written in my opinion, however.

What does pedigree mean? I'm not native English, and it has something to do with cattle and genealogy according to Euroglot (translation program), but I only know the word from a dog-food with that name. I'd be pleased if that word was substituted.
dinotrac

Mar 13, 2005
10:58 AM EDT
Pedigree is refers to your genealogy : who's yer mommy and daddy and grandmommy and granddaddy and great-grandmommy, and so on.

Lxer's pedigree comes from it's founder, Dave Whitinger, who founded the original Linux Today with Dwight Johnson.

Dave is no Johnny-come-lately to Linux or to Linux news sites. For that matter, some of the people posting here (like me) come from similar pedigrees. It's pedigree is part of the reason why Lxer has spawned a knowldegable and caring community so quickly.
hkwint

Mar 14, 2005
12:24 AM EDT
Thanks for the explanation! (& I shall no longer relate dogfood to it) You should know I am a Johnny-come-lately, but that's not a shame I hope since my age is only 20.

Your 2nd / 3rd paragraph by the way fits quite nicely in te wikipedia article in my opinion. It's more objective than what's there at the moment.

That raises the question, shouldn't Dave be mentioned somewhere?
mvermeer

Mar 20, 2005
10:30 PM EDT
> That raises the question, shouldn't Dave be mentioned somewhere?

Just added him.

BTW this stuff about perspective, heart and soul, and being 'informed' by past experience, is all true, but a bit vague except for those in the know --- and they know precisely what it refers to. How to make it clearer? How to say that its editorial policy is not for sale, without sounding all partizan and propaganda'ish?

I don't have the answer.
dinotrac

Mar 21, 2005
3:30 AM EDT
Y'Know, Martin et al, I think this concern for sounding like propaganda may be akin to looking up at the stars with your telescope reversed.

Think about the nature of propaganda -- and what it is at its very best (think Leni Reifenstahl and 'Triumph of the Will' or 'Olympia').

The best and most clever propaganda tries to convince you that it is an earnest and sincere report whose subject matter clearly impresses the propagandist. The best propaganda, in fact, tries not to scream propaganda at you.

Consequently, a sincere and earnest report on a subject that truly impresses its author will seem like very good and clever propaganda. The problem lies not with the sincere reporter but with propagandists who have tried to hijack the approach. The answer? Don't know, but giving up on being sincerely impressed sounds like a bad one.

hkwint

Mar 21, 2005
4:48 AM EDT
Mr Vermeer: good you mentioned Dave.

I was annoyed about the case-sensitiveness of the wikipedia LXer article, so there's now an article about lxer that points to LXer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lxer

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!